Skip to main content

Red Barchetta posted:

Put a reminder in my Google calendar for August 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, & 2022 to place an order for the free replacement batteries & O-rings.

Just placed my first order for the 4 "free" batteries & o-rings.  Free apparently equals $5.00 at Valterra.  
$0.01 for the batteries & o-rings & $4.99 for shipping.  Still a great deal in my book as it is still a great price, it makes sure that I replace the sensor batteries annually, and even has me changing the tiny o-rings annually even though they don't need to be replaced that often in my opinion.

*I also added another $5.00 for 4 new sensor caps.  I actually only need 1, but they give you as many as you have sensors (4 in my case) for $5.00.
One sensor cracked 2 trips ago most likely from me over-tightening it and it really isn't a big deal since I moved it to the extreme 2nd backup spare tire that most likely will never see action.  However, since it is just $5.00 (actually just $1.25 per cap in my case) I figured that I might as well change it for a good cap.  Bonus is that I will now have 3 spare caps.

So, $10.00 spent for peace of mind and since I now will have 3 spare caps it will just be $5.00 one year from now.  

Last edited by Red Barchetta
Red Barchetta posted:
Red Barchetta posted:

Put a reminder in my Google calendar for August 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, & 2022 to place an order for the free replacement batteries & O-rings.

Just placed my first order for the 4 "free" batteries & o-rings.  Free apparently equals $5.00 at Valterra.  
$0.01 for the batteries & o-rings & $4.99 for shipping.  Still a great deal in my book as it is still a great price, it makes sure that I replace the sensor batteries annually, and even has me changing the tiny o-rings annually even though they don't need to be replaced that often in my opinion.

*I also added another $5.00 for 4 new sensor caps.  I actually only need 1, but they give you as many as you have sensors (4 in my case) for $5.00.
One sensor cracked 2 trips ago most likely from me over-tightening it and it really isn't a big deal since I moved it to the extreme 2nd backup spare tire that most likely will never see action.  However, since it is just $5.00 (actually just $1.25 per cap in my case) I figured that I might as well change it for a good cap.  Bonus is that I will now have 3 spare caps.

So, $10.00 spent for peace of mind and since I now will have 3 spare caps it will just be $5.00 one year from now.  

Quick follow-up -

Everything arrived this afternoon including another TM bag (one came with the original purchase). 

IMG_20180906_142630

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_20180906_142630

Bumping this not-too-old thread....

Just got my Tireminder Smart TPMS  and will be installing and setting it up next week when I get back to the trailer down in Tucson.  Nice packaging!

A couple of questions for those of you that have actually installed and used them.  This is going on a 2018 2285 (dual separate battery compartments) pulled by a F250 CCSB truck with a rigid topper on the back.

I was thinking of putting the signal booster in one of the battery compartments and, at least for now, just clipping the power supply onto the battery poles. They're weather protected, handy to power and pretty far forward on the trailer. Should be easy to mount it with strong velcro, if not the supplied zip ties.  Any thoughts pro or con on that?

As for the Bluetooth adapter.... I've got plenty of options for that, probably in one of the back seat center console cup holders so I can get power from a nearby 12V socket and it will be close enough to hear and/or grab from the front seat if it signals, but not in the center console in front which gets full of other sh..., I mean "necessities", including the cell phone which will be the monitoring device.  

I'd be interested in hearing how folks have actually installed this stuff. The manual seems pretty clear and I don't expect any difficulties. But, I find, almost always, that people come up with better ideas for installations, mounting, etc. than I do.  This isn't rocket science, but still, it would be nice to know how it's gone for others.

Thanks.

Last edited by DJ53

Hey Russell,

We have the same Tire Minder smartphone TPMS and tried mounting the booster in the curbside front battery compartment on the front wall. We found that the street side  trailer tires randomly kept losing connection. Maybe the lead in the battery was blocking the signal? Moved the booster to the middle the frame member just behind the propane tanks and signal have been solid.

Been very pleased with the system. Good luck

I mounted my TireMinder relay booster using zip ties on the tongue underneath the propane tanks and tapped into the 12v power wire that supplies power to the jack.  This has worked flawlessly with picking up the tire signals and relaying to the TV.   In that location the relay antenna has a clear signal path to the tires. It also has the benefit of powering down when I turn off the battery disconnect switch.

Our Minder repeater is mounted in the lower forward nose cone of our 2285. Just inside the driver side storage pass-through door there will be a square panel covering a generously sized hole where one can grab 12V power from the trailer's running lights. I used Velcro to mount it against the back of the nose material. For future-proof  troubleshooting purposes I covered the access hole with clear desk/floor protector so I can easily see the green light confirming the repeater is on.

Occasionally the app will not connect to the Bluetooth device. The fix for me was to clear the cash in the phone's setting/apps/tire minder.

I've been happy with this unit for thousands of miles. I get a false alarm every once in a while but no big deal.

If you want to, you can use an old non-sim card phone as a monitor instead of your working phone. All it needs is the app and working Bluetooth.

I bought the booster but don't need it. It's mounted in the driver's side battery compartment and I just clipped it to the battery terminals. If I decided I really needed it I'd try to figure out how to connect it's to switched power. But when I've used it, I just reach in and unclip it.

Last edited by DJ53

I've been using a Tireminder unit for 6 years.  It is an old-fashioned model compared to the newer Bluetooth units.  (I have the small monitor suction-cupped to my windshield)  But, it has worked flawlessly, providing tire pressures and temps.   Thankfully, I haven't needed it for a blowout!! 

I opted for the solar-powered TireMinder TPMS and checked performance with and without the booster and it worked fine in both conditions. But since it came with the TPMS, I decided to install it. I mounted the booster inside the "nose" via the storage compartment and added a power switch. The unit is actually attached to the back of the wiring access panel with foam tape. I drilled a small hole through the cover inline with the LED and inserted a LEGO as a lens.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0

Add Reply

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024
Link copied to your clipboard.