Skip to main content

We have a safety incentive program at work and for every month we work without injury (or killing a foreman) we get a prize. The prize gets bigger with every consecutive month that goes by without injury. Late last fall the company gave everyone one of those clam screen tents. It seemed very well made but fairly bulky and going into winter did not hit the top of the best gift ever list at work. We joked that with enough duct tape you could convert it to an icefishing tent. A few people were able to get a store credit at a local fleet farm store for them but word got out and they were flooded with employee's trying to trade in  the tents so the store put a stop to that.  I re-gifted  mine to my sisters family for Christmas but with over 600 employees  where I work ,  northern Minnesota has a bunch of those floating around for sale  or tucked in the back of garages  somewhere

Watched someone set one up at a softball tournament we attended last summer in Virginia, and I was impressed.  Then I watched them take it down....  They were probably doing something wrong, but I sure wish I'd had a video camera. There's little doubt I could have made serious money on AFV!

So we bought a clam mag six pack screen tent; we've wanted one for a long time.  It was delivered by FEDEX this past week while we were out of town, and we got our first look at it when we returned today.  We were dismayed to see that it had been delivered with half the box packaging torn away.  We were further dismayed when we tried to set it up, and found that one of the panels had clearly been assembled and sewn wrong so that it couldn't possibly open.  I'm sure every manufacturing company has occasional assembly line quality control issues.  The story may still turn out well.  We immediately contacted Amazon this afternoon, and they have given us a delivery date for a replacement tent on Tuesday (72 hours from now).  They've also scheduled a pick-up for FEDEX to come get the defective one we have now and return it to the manufacturer.

Don

Second time appears to be charm.  The replacement tent came with the box intact.  We took it out today and opened it in less than two minutes.  It only took that long because we opened it in our living room and it filled up the room.  Everything seems to be in order, and this tent is just what we were looking for.

It's beyond me why the manufacturer couldn't send us a non-defective tent the first time (it was obvious the first tent was defective the moment we tried to set it up).  That's definitely a reflection on manufacturing QC.  We'll move beyond that, however, and enjoy what we now have.

Don

A big thank you to diamonds in another thread for mentioning that they store their screen room inside their 1575 during travel.   

I placed our rugs non-skid side down on the linoleum and facing up for the screen room to rest on. There is no way it is going to budge while in transit.

Also, I have it centered over the axle and on the "lighter" side of the TT (slide-out & fridge are on the other side) -

0717161738_HDR0717161738a_HDR

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 0717161738_HDR
  • 0717161738a_HDR

diamonds -

It is great to hear that you are as happy with it as we are.  

We last used ours 2 weeks ago at a non-camping event and used 3 of the panels to block the sun.

We'll be using it again in just over a week on a camping trip.

By the way, your link just takes me to my empty Gmail inbox (web version, not the Gmail app).  Since I don't use my Gmail account for anything other than my phone stuff I only got a parting good wish.    

Screenshot_20170118-181151

Would love to have the newer video link.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Screenshot_20170118-181151
diamonds posted:

This has been one of our favorite 'add ons'/expenses!  We opted for the pavilion with wind panels and have loved it.  Thanks to Jeff and others for paving the way.  Here is a newer video.  Great for bug free/shaded space; dining and can be used for sleeping for 'company'.

diamonds -

I still don't see a video link.  

Last summer, we hooked up with the Red Barchetta clan for a fun filled campout. The skeeters, while not overly excessive, were enough for all to be looking for some relief and since I don't do repellant sprays unless absolutely driven insane, when Jeff pulled out his Clam, it was a welcome relief. The shelter was large enough to comfortably seat 5 adults and two dogs and we were able to sip our wine without having to whine about the bugs.

Viv & I have been himmin and hawin about whether to get one of these cool shelters ever since but just haven't pulled the trigger for a couple reasons.......collapsed size and weight being front and center.

This morning I was perusing my emails and happened upon a similarly functioning shelter, albeit smaller. It's much less expensive, lightweight and folds up into a 31" disc. I have a couple "pop-up" tents, one of which Jeff used at the factory tour rally back in 2014 so I am familiar with the concept. I ordered one to see if it will fit the bill and if not, it's easy to return it to the Costco warehouse.....no questions asked.

https://www.costco.com/.produc...C_2017_0408_Backyard

My apologies to Jeff for hijacking his Clam thread but felt it might be of interest to some. After all, gettin some relief from the bugs is really what this thread is about.....right? 

Best wishes! We had one of similar design but smaller. We nicknamed it the DevilTent because it enticed us into the ease that it went up, lightness etc, but when it came time to leave we could never get the thing to fold in to the circle. Finally gave it to a nephew (physics degree) who had mastered the secret. By the way he got it in it's wonderful open state. Hopefully you too will be an origami master (We own a clam and love it)  

I finally had a chance to check out the Sportcraft screen room. I had no problem with folding it back up. In fact, it was quite easy once I watched a youtube vid.

That said, it's going back. I didn't care for the zipper as the fabric was tight making it impossible to zip with one hand which is important if you're bringing beers or glasses of wine into the shelter to enjoy. The other thing that makes me want to return it is that the fabric weave is not tight enough to ward off no-see ums.

It's already proving to be an extremely buggy year up here and I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and get one of those Clam shelters or risk getting eaten alive. 

Add Reply

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024
Link copied to your clipboard.