Skip to main content

We have been on the lookout for an enclosed screen room for quite some time.

With ease & speed of set-up being at the top of our list and build quality being a very very close second we were having a tough time finding the right fit for us.

Well, thanks to a thread by setters (thanks again setters!) we saw this screen tent/room and knew that it was the one that we had been looking for.

Here is setters' thread:

https://community.lanceowners.org/topic/screen-tent

Here is the product page:

http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_fishing/screen-tent.html

And here it is on Amazon (where we purchased it):

On the day that we ordered it (8/12/14) the price was a fantastic $214.49 with free shipping and it is currently (8/16/14) at $249.99 plus $4.99 shipping.

It arrived in 3 days and today (day 4) we had time to open it up & check it out.

Wow!  What an excellent product ... so far!  

Spec's.:

Weight - 32 lbs.

Folded up size - 9" x 9" x 72"

*In comparison our 10' x 10' Quik Shade open-air awning/canopy is 41.2 lbs. & 9" x 9" x 52".

Additional spec's. from the manufacturer:

Hub-to-hub: 140" X 140"

Usable Area: 94 square feet
Center height: 90"
Diameter (corner to corner) : 11.50'

- The storage bag is very spacious so that you aren't having to cram it in perfectly.

- It comes with stakes & straps for windy conditions.

- There are velcro patches around each screen window for solid wind/shade/privacy panels (additional purchase if desired) to attach to.

*Edit - set of 3 panels purchased (total price - $32.61):

https://community.lanceowners.org/top...9#405779402334324099

- There are additional support poles on either side of the doorway for extra strength.

- The zippered door (as well as the zippers on the storage bag) is extremely durable and of high quality.

- All of the corners, ceiling, floor skirt, walls, etc... are of heavy-duty material.

- And the best part .................................... we set it up completely our very first try in 32 seconds!!  *Obviously that doesn't include staking/strapping it down.

Of course I will update this thread as we bang it around, use it camping, etc..., but for now we are very happy with our purchase.  

A few pictures below.

1) The box label.

2) In the back of the tow vehicle (too long for the middle row seats to be upright so on trips that we need both seats upright we will store it inside the TT on the bed or on the floor under the slide-out).

3) Unboxed in its storage bag.

4) Set up (with the covered TT in the background).

IMG_20140816_182323_613

IMG_20140816_182946_055

IMG_20140816_183210_090

IMG_20140816_184441_982

Attachments

Images (4)
  • IMG_20140816_182323_613
  • IMG_20140816_182946_055
  • IMG_20140816_183210_090
  • IMG_20140816_184441_982
Last edited by Eric Dye
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Less than an hour after posting this thread my wife called me to her computer where she had a set (3 in a set) of the solid wind/shade/privacy panels on her screen ready to order.  

I agreed with her and they are now on the way.   

Total price - $32.61.

What an easy camping/trailer purchase.  Sure wish she was this agreeable on other items, haha.   

Here are the panels:

http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_fi...nd-panel-3-pack.html

Here they are on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Clam-Cor...ref=pd_bxgy_lg_img_y

Last edited by Red Barchetta

Jeff, my initial reaction was one of "why". Having had experience with screen tents in the past and the PITA factor they added to any outing I was thinking why bother with that. After watching that video and seeing your excellent write-up I can now understand what all the hullabaloo is all about. What a fantastic product!  

I'm probably going to pass anyway because where we camp we rarely encounter bugs that would have us wanting to be inside an outside inside shelter. That includes our secret boondock site. Have never seen a single skeeter up there. But if I did live in an area or frequented buggy sites, that Clam shell would be a "must have"!

Thanks for the kind words on the write-up Erick & Randy.  :-)
It was easy because the product really is that darn good!
We set it up & took it down a few times yesterday - it's that quick & simple.
And if we have to put it away wet no big deal.  30 seconds back at home & it's up & drying.
$11.00 each for the 3 panels seems like an additional good deal.
We do camp with bugs that chase us in to the TT in the evenings & at night.  Now we can eat in peace, not have bugs landing on our hand of cards near the lantern, ...
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta:

We have been on the lookout for an enclosed screen room for quite some time.

With ease & speed of set-up being at the top of our list and build quality being a very very close second we were having a tough time finding the right fit for us.

Well, thanks to a thread by setters (thanks again setters!) we saw this screen tent/room and knew that it was the one that we had been looking for.

Here is setters' thread:

https://community.lanceowners.org/topic/screen-tent

Here is the product page:

http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_fishing/screen-tent.html

And here it is on Amazon (where we purchased it):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ...2&pf_rd_i=507846

On the day that we ordered it (8/12/14) the price was a fantastic $214.49 with free shipping and it is currently (8/16/14) at $249.99 plus $4.99 shipping.

It arrived in 3 days and today (day 4) we had time to open it up & check it out.

Wow!  What an excellent product ... so far!   

Spec's.:

Weight - 32 lbs.

Folded up size - 9" x 9" x 72"

*In comparison our 10' x 10' Quik Shade open-air awning/canopy is 41.2 lbs. & 9" x 9" x 52".

Additional spec's. from the manufacturer:

Hub-to-hub: 140" X 140"

Usable Area: 94 square feet
Center height: 90"
Diameter (corner to corner) : 11.50'

- The storage bag is very spacious so that you aren't having to cram it in perfectly.

- It comes with stakes & straps for windy conditions.

- There are velcro patches around each screen window for solid wind/shade/privacy panels (additional purchase if desired) to attach to.

*Edit - set of 3 panels purchased (total price - $32.61):

https://community.lanceowners.org/top...9#405779402334324099

- There are additional support poles on either side of the doorway for extra strength.

- The zippered door (as well as the zippers on the storage bag) is extremely durable and of high quality.

- All of the corners, ceiling, floor skirt, walls, etc... are of heavy-duty material.

- And the best part .................................... we set it up completely our very first try in 32 seconds!!  *Obviously that doesn't include staking/strapping it down.

Of course I will update this thread as we bang it around, use it camping, etc..., but for now we are very happy with our purchase.  

A few pictures below.

1) The box label.

2) In the back of the tow vehicle (too long for the middle row seats to be upright so on trips that we need both seats upright we will store it inside the TT on the bed or on the floor under the slide-out).

3) Unboxed in its storage bag.

4) Set up (with the covered TT in the background.

IMG_20140816_182323_613

IMG_20140816_182946_055

IMG_20140816_183210_090

IMG_20140816_184441_982

"AWESOME" I didn't order one yet, but it will be next on the list after hearing your report

glad you liked it so much....it will be great for adding a little more comfort room to my truck camper on extended stops!!!  

We had a screen tent, but as someone already said the PITA factor kept us from using it.  However, I think we will reconsider.  Sometimes it's not mosquitoes, but black flies.  And when they bite you know it.  My shopping list is getting longer and longer and longer....

Amazon scares me sometimes.  The 3-pack of panels arrived today(!).
I worry about the retirees working like mad in the sweaty warehouses.  This package arrived too quickly.
It's my wife's birthday.  Do they really think I have 39 seconds to spare today to check out the panels on the screen room?
I think if I actually did that she just might kick me out in the screen room to sleep tonight.
Installed pic's. will have to wait.
In the meantime, here is the whip-cracked Amazon workers' handiwork.  Sure beats the Pony Express that's for sure.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_20140818_160740_549

Jim -

That is a bummer.  If you feel like making a run to the October rally in California I'd be happy to pick one up for you.   

Seriously though, that has to be annoying when you have the money to spend, but can't get anyone to ship to you.  

Thanks for the birthday wishes (speaking of, she doesn't know that I snuck away for a minute to post  ).  

Next time you find yourself down in Toronto be sure to stop by a newly named park ( ):

http://www.thestar.com/news/gt...in_their_honour.html

Originally Posted by Red Barchetta:
Amazon scares me sometimes.  The 3-pack of panels arrived today(!).
I worry about the retirees working like mad in the sweaty warehouses.  This package arrived too quickly.
It's my wife's birthday.  Do they really think I have 39 seconds to spare today to check out the panels on the screen room?
I think if I actually did that she just might kick me out in the screen room to sleep tonight.
Installed pic's. will have to wait.
In the meantime, here is the whip-cracked Amazon workers' handiwork.  Sure beats the Pony Express that's for sure.

Screen rooms OK for sleeping...but the campers more comfortable take the keys!!!

Originally Posted by Jeb825:

Red Barchetta

Your a lucky guy!

Amazon.com won't ship this tent to my address, Amazon.ca doesn't list it, Basspro also won't ship, having a heck of a time finding it for this neck of the woods.

And here I wanted to spend some money.

Also birthday wishes to the wife

Jim

Do you get UPS to your property ok. In the past I've ordered wood finish from Amazon even though it states will not sell in CA. And I'm always surprised it shows up, I keep looking for an email saying will not deliver and there it is n the door step.

Originally Posted by GTSimms:

Do you get UPS to your property ok. In the past I've ordered wood finish from Amazon even though it states will not sell in CA. And I'm always surprised it shows up, I keep looking for an email saying will not deliver and there it is n the door step.

GT -

Jim lives in Canada (CA) not California (CA).  

I agree, it can be confusing sometimes when posted on websites.  

Originally Posted by WoodGlue:

Excellent write up! 

32 seconds, eh?  Can 1 person set this up alone?

WoodGlue

We've got one also and the answer to your question is a qualified Yes.  Bruce set it up easily by himself but he called me out to assist when he wanted to lift it over the top of a campsite picnic table.  He might have even been able to do that alone...it's pretty solid when set up...but decided not to try.  

I hate screen rooms in general.  I think they're kind of claustrophobic.  But there have been times when insect repellent is not enough so we decided to always be prepared so we're not trapped in the trailer.

Shannon

Originally Posted by bapsjp:
I hate screen rooms in general.  I think they're kind of claustrophobic.  But there have been times when insect repellent is not enough so we decided to always be prepared so we're not trapped in the trailer.

Shannon

We completely agree Shannon.  

Since we are fortunate to be able to camp year 'round here we also need to be prepared so that we aren't chased inside.

Just an update -

We have used this screen room extensively (including our current 3-night trip) and it is showing absolutely no signs of wear or tear.  Still looks new & gets a perfect score from us.  

*If I had to find a fault it would be the collapsed length. If we need both back seats of the TV then we simply store it on the bed in the TT (we keep the storage/carrying bag clean & off of the ground so the bed stays clean).

We have used ours a few times and it's great for keeping out bugs but we have to use a fan inside to move the air around, it doesn't allow much air movement.

100% a big thumbs up for ease of set up and take down.  We store it in the TT during travel and then sit it on the back bumper until I'm ready to set it up.

That looks like a really nice one!  I love my "Bug tent".   It doesn't always get put up at camp, but it almost always goes along.  I get eaten by bugs when nobody else even sees them around.  I have tried spray, wristbands, the little fan things, candles, vit B, everything!   Nothing works as good as my bug room.  Before my room I would always retreat to the camper and I hated not being outside, and my bug room really works!    And on a trip where we stay in the same place for several days, it makes a nice shady spot to escape the sun also.  

Looks good - so glad this thread has resurfaced. How easy is it to put away by one (short) person? And can one (short) person reach up to push up the roof center piece? 

One other question: how long is the storage bag? Will it fit across the width of the cab back seat of the truck? Or would it have to be stored along the center aisle of the TC during transit?

Thanks.

Add Reply

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024
Link copied to your clipboard.