Skip to main content

Pick one of these up at Costco for $599.99.

Some of the things I like about it are;

1)  Cheaper than the Honda or Yamaha versions

2)  Manufacturer 3 year warranty (Yamaha only offers a 2 year)

3)  Costco stands behind the products they sell and have a generous return/exchange policy.

4)  It is powered by a Yamaha MZ80 engine, the same one in the Yamaha EF2000i Genny

5)  This model (2000iQ) can be run in parallel with another 2000iQ. (Cables are extra)

6)  USB Charging Portal on the front.

7)  Gas Tank gauge.

8)  You can run out the gas before storing, so you don't gunk up the carb.

9)  Whisper quiet (on par or better than the Honda or Yamaha)

10) 45 lbs (even a woman can carry it around)

Here are some interior and exterior shots:

case-printing

date-code

empty-full

front

made-in-china

Oil-Fill

side-view

YamahaMZ80

Attachments

Images (8)
  • case-printing
  • date-code
  • empty-full
  • front
  • made-in-china
  • Oil-Fill
  • side-view
  • YamahaMZ80
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by ct0218:

I bought one of these from Costco in May, we use it on our pontoon boat when we camp on it. Runs great, sips fuel, quiet too.

Every time I go into Costco I feel the urge to buy one of these.  Kind of hard to justify since I have a built in.  Can't explain it, just want one.....

I have owned two of these since May 2014 and have used them several times boondocking.  On a recent trip in early September, it was 19 degrees one morning at 7800 ft altitude, and the generator started with 3 pulls and ran just as it should.  I bought 2 because I wanted to be able to run the A/C boondocking if I want to, and could not mount a larger 4000W generator that I had when I bought my 2014 2385 on this TT's rear bumper (too wimpy a bumper).  The two cost me less than one Honda or Yamaha with the same specs.  With a little modification to raise the shelf a couple of inches, both generators fit in the front storage compartment on the right side of my TT and they are light enough for me to lift and stow without too much trouble.  I did notice less power at this altitude; one would run the microwave, but it was pretty close to max load, whereas at lower altitude, one runs the microwave just fine.  As an aside, I am careful to avoid ethanol gas for them and all of the rest of my small engine equipment, as it tends to collect water more than non-ethanol gasoline.  So far, so good.

Brian

and concur, these little 80cc motors do tend to struggle at an altitude greater than 6,000 feet. When I first tried mine, it had about 1/2 hour's use on it and probably hadn't properly broken in yet. At 6500' running the micro, it bogged down quite a bit and sometimes would recover, sometimes not. I just take both along now and they work much better in tandem. For approximately $1330.00 which includes tax, to have 3100 watts of relatively quiet genny power is an unbeatable price.

Oops, I almost forgot a few other modifications/info that you'll need!

1)  Generator Hour Meter Link  (easy mod to make, just wrap the wire around the spark plug wire and secure it well) 

2)  A nice cover  (Yamaha 2000 covers fit perfectly!)

3)  Link for the dipstick and magnetic plug

4)  A few extra Spark Plugs (these are the correct ones)

I also broke my generator in, for 20 hours (not all at once) and then I changed the oil (Yamalube)

Don't let the burning credit card scorch yer buttocks!

WoodGlue

Yes Randy, the cover is excellent.  I tried an off brand cover but it was a mess, no handle to carry the darn thing like the Yamaha cover has!  It fits like a glove and I wouldn't be without one.

I think I bought mine through eBay, let me look for the price, as I think I only paid $32,00/ea.

$36.99 Free Shipping from eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ge...ipping-/111469812729?

WoodGlue

Last edited by WoodGlue

I just did a bit of shopping around and found these covers for a better price than Amazon. $38.50 each and even though there's a modest $6.95 shipping charge, they don't charge tax here in Nevada like Amazon does. I went ahead and ordered two.

http://www.yamahagenerators.co...-Covers-p/covers.htm

James........are ya paying attention? 

Darn, wish I'd seen that first before ordering. I always forget to check e-bay. I have this age old stigma firmly planted in my cranium that it's an internet garage sale of sorts and forget that there are a lot of legitimate vendors doing business there. Oh well, mistake only cost 10 bucks.

Interesting observations.

When I first got to Doheny, the genny ran the A/C and the Microwave (obviously not at the same time)

Now that I'm powering my laptop, DirecTV box, and the 12v Winegard G2 carryout, I'm not able to run the A/C or microwave.  Seems like the extra junk (the laptop, etc) pushed the genny over it's capacity or capabilities.

Don't get me wrong, it's still able to power up and charge the 2 AGM batteries I have etc, but I'm kinda disappointed to tell you the truth.

WoodGlue

Don't be disappointed.  Just get another and a parallel cable. Running the AC is pushing the extreme limitations of these gens. Even though you may get the AC to fire up, if you saw the accompanying voltage drop, you'd be realizing that even though it runs, who knows what kind of electrical component damage could result. I know another gen and cable will set you back approximately $700.00, you'll be sittin there with 3100 watts of power and should be able to run pretty much everything.

How do you like them genny run times there at the park? :-(

Add Reply

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024
Link copied to your clipboard.