Skip to main content

I recently installed a RecPro (Houghton) 9.5  BTU A/C in my 1997 Squire which was factory plumbed for A/C, but never had one. As I shopped around, I ran into supply issues, and my internet search led me to RecPro. Amazon had units ready to ship. The factory opening is 14” x 14” square but A/C requires rough opening of 14 3/16” for the mounting flange, so I had to cut the opening a tad bigger. Other than that, pretty basic install. Used butyl tape to seal the mounting flange to the roof, and added extra insurance with some Dicor S/Leveling sealant. Unit goes together pretty well and seems very well made with a touch of simple-but-effective European engineering (although it’s Australian). Once installed it ran flawlessly with power being supplied by a Honda EU2200i. Shore power had the same result (no sign of smoke from my wiring skills 😂). Very low profile on the exterior and interior sides. Time will tell but I’m looking forward to having cool air during the summer months. Purchased the unit from RecPro through their Amazon store. Very happy with it thus far…

-Granit

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Granit posted:

I recently installed a RecPro (Houghton) 9.5  BTU A/C in my 1997 Squire which was factory plumbed for A/C, but never had one. As I shopped around, I ran into supply issues, and my internet search led me to RecPro. Amazon had units ready to ship. The factory opening is 14” x 14” square but A/C requires rough opening of 14 3/16” for the mounting flange, so I had to cut the opening a tad bigger. Other than that, pretty basic install. Used butyl tape to seal the mounting flange to the roof, and added extra insurance with some Dicor S/Leveling sealant. Unit goes together pretty well and seems very well made with a touch of simple-but-effective European engineering (although it’s Australian). Once installed it ran flawlessly with power being supplied by a Honda EU2200i. Shore power had the same result (no sign of smoke from my wiring skills 😂). Very low profile on the exterior and interior sides. Time will tell but I’m looking forward to having cool air during the summer months. Purchased the unit from RecPro through their Amazon store. Very happy with it thus far…

-Granit

That’s a good sign!

Just installed the Recpro Houghton 9.5 btu to replace the horribly noisy Coleman Mach 13.5.  It is SO quiet!!!  We have never used the Coleman because of the noise. We ordered it with our TT not knowing it was a waste of money.  At least I should be able to get something out of it on Craig's list.

The new unit was $1150. 9.5's are a bit more expensive that the Recpro 13.5 but it is lighter and less power requirements. The unit is about 1/2 the size of the Coleman with a much lower roof profile and 3/4 the weight.  With the lower power requirement, I was able to run it off the house 20amp/110 plug as a first run test.  It lowered the TT inside temp 15 degrees in under 2 hours and the TT has been heat soaking for weeks.  Outside air temp was 91.

Like Granit I installed the roof flange with butyl tape followed up with XTRM sealant around the edges.  The inside ceiling mount also did require some Dremel work at the corners to allow for sloppy roof frame welds.

Looking forward to some summer camping, but most of our trips are Fall, Winter, Spring.  Now my DW wants me figure out how to quiet down the furnace! 

Add Reply

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024
Link copied to your clipboard.