Skip to main content

There I was, going along with naught a care in the world; then I read here on the LOA forum about something called a "Blackstone Griddle".

So now we have one.  17".  It seasoned up pretty well and I fixed bacon wrapped tenderloins and fried potatoes tonight.  I think it is going to work out well.

It appears it will fit nicely in the long slide out storage area, but I need something to put it in - particularly the griddle.  My instincts and innate parsimoniousness lean heavily toward a cardboard box and newspapers.  However, does anyone have any experience with the Blackstone storage bag? 

Last edited by Eric Dye
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That is what I have for my 17” Griddle it is a nice heavy nylon case. Just clean the with some water (heat the griddle up some) and wipe clean with paper towels. Turn the griddle over and place back on top of base and put the cover over it. Then place in the bad and zip shut. I store mine in the front storage area under the bed.

I've had the same problem with my 17", and so I used a small propane bottle to compare against using the propane hookup on the side of my 2295. It seems to have a better flame from the bottle. Maybe the pressure from the trailer regulator isn't what it should be. I use a 36" Blackstone at home and love it. Great flame and heat.

@Derbin posted:

Wondering if anyone uses the griddle outside? The slightest breeze and it won't heat up. Any ideas for wind block? So far ours are terrible.  I have the 17" and the 22". Love it when the weather is perfect.

We recently purchased the 22" griddle and I've read that other people have the same problem with wind.  Just purchased a set of 4 wind screens (2 for rear and 1 for each side) from Amazon that work for the 17" and 22" griddle, which reportedly resolve the wind issue.  They just hang on the sides of the griddle plate, so no assembly required.

@BC23267 posted:

We recently purchased the 22" griddle and I've read that other people have the same problem with wind.  Just purchased a set of 4 wind screens (2 for rear and 1 for each side) from Amazon that work for the 17" and 22" griddle, which reportedly resolve the wind issue.  They just hang on the sides of the griddle plate, so no assembly required.

Just camped for two days at lake Woodward in CA.  Very windy there, but the 22" Blackstone griddle did a great job cooking during this trip with the 4 wind screens attached to the griddle plate.

I have the 22 inch Blackstone with the hard lid on a Blackstone stand.  Haven't experienced any problem with keeping it lit but it did take a few turns starting it.  I found a storage bag on Amazon that it fits perfectly inside and zips up nice and snug.  I store mine in the bed of the TV.  At home I purchased a storage  box that holds all our extra items, grill, stand, genny, genny box to open the TV bed up for daily use.  Easy enough to toss it back in before a trip.  The grill storage bag was by ABM COM and bought on Amazon.  $39.99.  Fits perfect.  They have bags to fit all sizes of Blackstones.

I have the blackstone cover and bag. I only use the cover when traveling. Highly recommended.  it is canvas and lined with somewhat heat resistant material . I clean the grill with oil and wipe it down good, cover the griddle with old newspaper and cover it with the bag.  I never turn the griddle upside down. Bag is made to fit with the griddle in usable position.

I also have the cover and bag, but there is no possible way my Blackstone 17 will fit unless the griddle is reversed.  Which is fine.  This is likely one of many minor changes they have made during production.

On a related topic, windscreens are a huge benefit.  I made my own, but factory made or home made they make it possible to cook in less than ideal conditions.

I had successfully used my Blackstone in many places without a screen. Then we went to the beach at Galveston. Our site backed up to the gulf and you know what that means. Constant sea breezes. I used leveling blocks and anything I could for a wind screen. Immediately when home I bought sheet metal and piano hinges and made a three sided wind screen. I did a post on it somewhere here. My take on the 17 inch Blackstone is it is the piece of equipment you love to hate. It’s a pain to carry, I have to put it in the toad, but I love to cook on it. I’m going to look into the bag, sounds like it might help some with it.

Bob/Texas

@jarheade6 posted:

My take on the 17 inch Blackstone is it is the piece of equipment you love to hate. It’s a pain to carry, I have to put it in the toad, but I love to cook on it. I’m going to look into the bag, sounds like it might help some with it.

Bob/Texas

I tried using it au natural thinking I could find some way to carry it around.  I never could.  The bag and cover simply eliminate the transport issues.

I made my wind screens out of some sheet metal I had on hand.  They are a set of three that hang over the lip of the griddle edges, just like the factory set but less elegant.  Stacked and wrapped up in an old sheet they make a package about 3/4" thick, 5" wide, and 16" long, making them very easy to carry as well.

Just a thought, unless you need the windscreens often, couldn't you just roll some aluminum foil and push it between the griddle and the housing?

I totally agree the Blackstone is heavy and annoying to carry around, but it is the best way to feed a large group. We try to avoid frying anything inside the trailer, especially bacon, because it makes a mess. The Blackstone is so easy to clean and more versatile than a grill.

A bag is a must. Blackstone uses very good quality ballistic nylon for their bags. I also recommend the hard lid, which keeps heat in and is good for low temp cooking or steaming. It also covers the griddle for storage.

This bag is great for the 22" with stand and lid, although the combined weight is really heavy and cumbersome. I position it with the stand inside in the rear storage, then add the griddle and push it into location, rather than trying to carry it all at once. I noticed the 17" bag isn't designed for the lid and requires you to flip the griddle upside down, which is really stupid. I would try to find a bag that fits everything assembled ready to cook, which unfortunately for the 17" isn't going to have a Blackstone logo on it. Still lots of other options on Amazon.

Last edited by MrFancypants

I have the 22 inch Blackstone and don't camp without it.  I got a generic cover as I noted above and bought my Blackstone at Wal Mart.  Got the griddle, cover, stand as one package.  Best price around and on sale, $143.00 if I remember correctly.  Bought the carrier bag, long propane hose to connect to TT and Blackstone utensils and I'm all set.  This past trip saw a great dinner of Filet Mignon, grilled onions, mushrooms, shredded potatoes and garlic toast......heaven from the Blackstone.grilling on Blackstone

Attachments

Images (1)
  • grilling on Blackstone
Last edited by Michael E

I noticed the 17" bag isn't designed for the lid and requires you to flip the griddle upside down, which is really stupid. I would try to find a bag that fits everything assembled ready to cook, which unfortunately for the 17" isn't going to have a Blackstone logo on it. Still lots of other options on Amazon.

It would be more accurate to say that the 17" bag is designed to include the griddle, but it must be turned upside down.  Not at all sure why that is an issue, especially as it reduces the package size.  I can (just) fit the bagged unit into the "coffin" pass through storage.

We have the Blackstone 17” griddle and absolutely love it! My husband claims I have a “grill addiction” and he may be right — I’m always looking for the newest, best camping grill solution. I just may have found it with this beauty! Like cooking with my favorite cast iron skillet over the campfire only more versatile! Wind was an issue at first, but not now. These wind breaks are are a must have for anyone using a Blackstone griddle! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P...oding=UTF8&psc=1

As for a cover, I love this one from Blackstone — comes with both a cover for use while at your campsite and a carrying case for transport. We store ours in the truck when traveling. Just a personal preference.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H...oding=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 22953966-0925-4500-ADB5-C2923DA2D30B
  • 846C2873-8850-4C7F-9D93-80B2B38A2F06

Add Reply

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024
Link copied to your clipboard.