Skip to main content

We regularly run into poor cell coverage when camping, primarily at state- and national parks. We also encounter cell “dead zones” while driving. We’re not heavy data users by any means, but we do like to stay in touch with friends and family, to monitor the weather, and to be able to communicate with our next site’s staff if necessary. And, we’re planning to drive to/from Alaska  next year.

For example, cell coverage at Doris Campground in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge near Lawton, Oklahoma is quite poor. However, there is decent cell reception near the visitor center.

So, we’re thinking about installing the weBoost Drive Reach RV cell booster. Anybody have experience and comments — positive or negative — with this model?

https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-reach-rv

Thanks!    
Jim / crewzer

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
Last edited by Crewzer
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We have the 'X', which was their top model when we acquired it.  It has very rarely failed from getting some sort of signal in places where none was apparent on the phone's indicator.     

The interior antenna, which is suppose to work wirelessly within a number of feet around it, seems to work best when our phones are practically touching it.  Therefore, we let it dangle from over the dinette table and that keeps it in 'the phone booth'.   

When signals are really sparse or not shown, we attempt to just send texts back and forth.   They sometimes make send/receive at a much later time than when sent, apparently getting a momentary connection as weak signals come and go.

As for the outside antenna, as airplane pilots say, "Altitude is your friend.".   Getting that as high as possible and away from other metal objects on the roof of the camper is truly your friend. 

I was camping across from Doug one time in Georgia I believe, anyhow I could not get on line with my phone hot spot...Doug brought his X over and we put the antenna on the roof on a cast iron frying pan I instantly got online....Doug turn off the power and I would loose internet connection...we tried this test a couple of times...when I got back I bought the new at the time "the Drive" I think it was...bought extra antennas and ran wire in my Jeep Cherokee that I set up to tow..so now I can just pull the unit out and put it in the Jeep if I am somewhere with low signal strength...I will have to get that all set up in my AF now....  

Question on WeBoost performance: I'm planning on using this for zoom calls from State Parks. I'm going to need at least 1.5Mbps to host effective meetings. Has anyone checked their network speeds with and without the WeBoost?

Obviously this question is totally location dependent, but I'm wondering if anyone has done any network speed comparisons with and without the WeBoost

Our WeBoost Drive Reach RV plus options DC-DC converter power brick arrived today... delayed a few days due to weather; no biggie, obviously.

Our camper is in off-site storage at the moment, waiting for our next trip starting on March 20. I’ll probably bring the camper up a few days early to tackle the installation.

Woo Hoo!
Jim / crewzer

Our new WeBoost DRIVE Reach RV cell booster with optional DC-DC power brick arrived today. Delivery took a couple of extra days due to recent Wx challenge, but the reschedule was not an issue for us.

Our next trip is scheduled to start on March 20, and our TC is at an off-site storage facility. So, we’ll bring it up a few days early to de-winterize and work on a couple of mods.😉

Woo Hoo!
Jim / crewzer

95360FCD-47D7-429E-8BEE-A1123B0AD36E

8103F577-3642-43C5-97AE-883578266356

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 95360FCD-47D7-429E-8BEE-A1123B0AD36E
  • 8103F577-3642-43C5-97AE-883578266356
@pau hana posted:

You might ask @R&V Spiker about the Reach.

Here's my not so scientific impression. First off, I jumped in too early and purchased the regular version with the wimpy magnetic rooftop antennae. They hadn't yet released the RV version at the time I made the purchase. That said, I have been able to utilize it mostly in the truck when traveling through remote areas of Nevada where a signal was hard to come by. It worked great and provided boost to all who were along for the ride showing that the puck one puts next to the phone has more reach than previous models that pretty much required the puck be placed against the phone back. When service was especially bad, moving the puck to the phone added a bar or two of reception strength

After using it in both the truck and trailer, I am thinking of ordering the RV version for the trailer and permanently mounting the one in the truck.

Randy,

Thanks for your report... The improved performance sounds encouraging!

In order to maximize the distance between our booster’s indoor- and outdoor antennas, I plan to mount the outdoor antenna on the rear of the left-side roof rack using a 1-5/8” motorcycle accessory clamp. This location is the furthest from our TC’s dinette, where we’re likely to want to locate the indoor antenna / puck; pls see red oval in the pic below. I’ll figure out the rest from there.

Note the RV model is supplied with an AC/DC power supply, but not a DC/DC converter. I ordered an optional DC/DC converter so that we can power the unit from 12Vdc.

Our next trip is scheduled to begin on March 20, so I’ll probably work on this a few days before that. I’ll (try to remember to) post a report after we return in late March.

Thanks again,    
Jim / crewzer    

7CDB46C2-2EF6-44E4-B5D5-9E4EAB674745

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 7CDB46C2-2EF6-44E4-B5D5-9E4EAB674745
Last edited by Crewzer

Add Reply

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024
Link copied to your clipboard.