Skip to main content

I recently replaced our Smart Jack with the Ultra-Fab Phoenix 4000. Common sense should have had me going with the Husky, but the claims of faster speed and the 10 year warranty were too strong to resist. I'm weak like that 😉
We have just used the Phoenix on two trips and in the driveway, but my impression is positive so far. The jack is, indeed, very fast. So fast that it has taken some getting used to to operate in smoothly. The sound level is comparable to the Smart Jack. It does shine brightest when hooking up and removing the WDH spring bars. That task seemed to take forever with the old jack.
I find the touchpad easier to operate than the SJ one. Time will tell if it holds up any better. The Phoenix also has two memory settings plus auto extend and retract.
Hopefully the jack will continue to perform admirably. Either way I will update this review after some time using it.

Henry

Last edited by Eric Dye
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I just wanted to follow up on this thread after using the Ultra-Fab Phoenix on a few trips. It is just as advertised, extremely fast! It cuts hook up/unhook time by a lot. I had to get used to the speed because it made using the Smart Jack feel a bit like watching paint dry (sort of kidding!)
We will see how it holds up over the long haul, but if you were considering this jack I would definitely recommend it.

I moved the grounding point to the frame per your example, and it still did not work.

My wife and I took the Lance to a music festival over Labor Day weekend, so I had to use the manual crank to hook and unhook the trailer. I found that it wasn't terrible if I used a breaker bar, even though because we use the Andersen hitch, you need to go up and down an extra time to tension the chains.

In what I hope is the final chapter of this story, I called the manufacturer and recounted my story to a service department rep. He sent me a replacement jack, and I made the switch yesterday. Before taking the old jack out, I hooked jumper cables up to it from my car battery. It did not work, to my relief.

The new Phoenix jack is in and working. My only concern is that the jack does not retract as far as I think it should - around 6" of the silver tube remains exposed when the jack is lowered all the way. I see a line of grease, however, at 2" above the end of the tube (4" farther down), so it seems that I must be able to retract it further for when we are on the road. I have not yet been able to figure that part out.

The bottom line was that the problem was with the jack and not with a poor ground. Thanks!

Chris

I moved the grounding point to the frame per your example, and it still did not work.

My wife and I took the Lance to a music festival over Labor Day weekend, so I had to use the manual crank to hook and unhook the trailer. I found that it wasn't terrible if I used a breaker bar, even though because we use the Andersen hitch, you need to go up and down an extra time to tension the chains.

In what I hope is the final chapter of this story, I called the manufacturer and recounted my story to a service department rep. He sent me a replacement jack, and I made the switch yesterday. Before taking the old jack out, I hooked jumper cables up to it from my car battery. It did not work, to my relief.

The new Phoenix jack is in and working. My only concern is that the jack does not retract as far as I think it should - around 6" of the silver tube remains exposed when the jack is lowered all the way. I see a line of grease, however, at 2" above the end of the tube (4" farther down), so it seems that I must be able to retract it further for when we are on the road. I have not yet been able to figure that part out.

The bottom line was that the problem was with the jack and not with a poor ground. Thanks!

Chris

Hi Chris - Not sure if you ever straightened out the retraction issue on your jack. I was wondering if calibrating it might get it working correctly.
On the 3rd page of the instruction manual there is a section
"CALIBRATION METHOD TO SET TRAVEL LIMITS"
https://ultra-fab.com/wp-conte...RUCTIONS-r051519.pdf

Maybe that might help get it to fully retract?

Henry

Add Reply

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024
Link copied to your clipboard.