Skip to main content

We are fortunate here to camp year 'round.  We dry camp 95% of the time.  Much of that here in CA means no access to a dump station either.  For example, our local SP cg is just 15 minutes away and we quite frequently run up there for spur-of-the-moment 1 or 2 night stays.  It does not have a dump station.  Nor is there a dump station anywhere in between our house and there.
Our local fairgrounds does have a dump station and it's only $5.00, but it is out of our way and really silly to have to drive over there to dump just 1 or 2 nights of minimal use when the entire purpose of our quick getaways is to pull the trailer out, go enjoy camping, return, and put the trailer away.  Done.

We had a popup trailer for 12+ years and it had a Thetford cassette toilet that we loved having.  So much so that we often wish the 1575 had one.  If it weren't for our tent-end bunk I would actually install one like John/firemanthreeo did and then use the black tank as a second grey tank.

With a cassette toilet/porta potti you simply take the sealed 5-gallon waste tank/cassette and cleanly & easily empty it in to any flush toilet, vault toilet, gas station toilet, rest stop toilet, dump station, etc...

So, anticipating a lot of quick local fall & winter trips we finally pulled the trigger.

$109.00 delivered.

We went with the manual flush model as the battery flush model has a history of malfunctioning.  Plus, we don't have to worry about batteries dying or corroding.  Also, ours may go unused for 6 to 9 months at a time so we just wanted to have the option of having one, but also having one that wouldn't have issues.

And lastly, if we have an earthquake or other disaster we still have a toilet (although that wasn't a reason for buying one).

It will stay in its box in the garage on a shelf in between uses (once it has been cleaned & dried of course, ha).

Here it is -
http://www.thetford.com/product/porta-potti-550p/

Dimensions for Porta Potti 550P
Product Details
Profile Dimensions
ABC
16-1/2 in : 41.9 cm16-1/2 in : 41.9 cm15 in : 38.1 cm
Capacity
Fresh WaterWaste TankAverage Flushes
4.2 gal : 15.9 L5.5 gal : 20.8 L56
Product Features
Flush TypeLevel Indicator 
PistonYes

IMG_20171004_181917IMG_20171004_181930IMG_20171004_182008IMG_20171004_182035IMG_20171004_182056IMG_20171004_182104IMG_20171004_182133

Attachments

Images (7)
  • IMG_20171004_181917
  • IMG_20171004_181930
  • IMG_20171004_182008
  • IMG_20171004_182035
  • IMG_20171004_182056
  • IMG_20171004_182104
  • IMG_20171004_182133
Last edited by Red Barchetta
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Prior to our TCer ownership, we purchased a Thetford PP for traveling in our Suburban.  After having a TCer, we thought we would never use the PP again.

However, last December, we did a road trip in our TCer.  We left it winterized and carried our drinking water in the truck.  In extremely cold temps, we put the PP in the floor of the crew cab and in the TCer at night.

It worked out really well and not having to worry about any pipes freezing was a real plus.   

Les1 posted:

However, last December, we did a road trip in our TCer.  We left it winterized and carried our drinking water in the truck.  In extremely cold temps, we put the PP in the floor of the crew cab and in the TCer at night.

Les -
Good to hear.  
That is similar to our plan (although here in northern CA there is no need for winteriwhateveryoucallit).

Ours will travel in the TV's "trunk"/5th wheel tool box (and while camping there is plenty of space in the TT) -

*From here -
https://community.lanceowners.org/top...ility-chest-dz8560wb

First thing I did when we got our 1995 was pull the stock toilet, and install a Thetford cassette.  I don't want to be looking for a dump station, or having to pull the trailer to a dump station (although, with 45 gallons, I could go two weeks without dumping, I think).  In 6 years of using cassettes, I have not had a problem, nor wished I had a black tank to use.

We purchased the electric flush version 2 years ago for use in a large tent on a convoy. Pulled it out this year, tested it out, and left for this years convoy. 

The pump failed the first night. Probably not worth fixing, but it is a very large piece of plastic to go in a landfill.

Last edited by Frank 2285
@LoveToGlamp posted:

First thing I did when we got our 1995 was pull the stock toilet, and install a Thetford cassette. I don't want to be looking for a dump station, or having to pull the trailer to a dump station (although, with 45 gallons, I could go two weeks without dumping, I think).  In 6 years of using cassettes, I have not had a problem, nor wished I had a black tank to use.

Installing the cassette toilet is an interesting bridge between the conventional RV toilet and a composting toilet. While you're still using water, you accomplish the following:

• You eliminate using the black tank. That potentially can save much weight if you're full and can't dump right away.
  • You can use your toilet even if your RV is winterized.
  • You have many more options for dumping,
  • No dump fees.
  • And as a last resort if you were boondocking in an isolated area, you could dig a latrine and empty your cassette. (Not recommended unless absolutely desperate.)

Add Reply

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024
Link copied to your clipboard.