Skip to main content

It drives me nuts when I see a news report about flash mobs attacking big box stores and stealing hundreds of items with impunity. Recently LOA covered the topic of catalytic converter theft. Another major law-breaker problem is smash and grab where perps break car windows and quickly exit with valuables.

Unfortunately, RVers often carry some pretty expensive stuff:  GPS, TPMS monitors, digital cameras/GoPro, tools, camping/fishing/hunting gear, extra cash, etc., i.e., a target rich environment.  Back in the 90's I had a Suburban loaded with similar items and the bad guys didn't break my window, they stole the whole thing. I lost everything.

One way I now protect some items is with a console safe installed in the cavernous console of our 2019 Ford Lariat Super Duy. The safe provides a secure, locked steel door while still providing full access to the console space. I purchased a Made in the USA console safe from Lock 'er Down. The safe takes about 20 minutes to install (actually assembled inside the console) and cannot be breached by thieves breaking a window. They would have to physically remove the console in order to access the safe.  Pretty unlikely.

There's even room on top of the safe for a tray to hold frequent items, or you can leave it clear.  I chose the combination lock rather than the optional electronic or key lock. Whatever you choose, the safe is extremely well made and looks like a factory installed option.  When parked we keep our Garmin 890 GPS, TST color monitor, extra cash, DW's purse (if she chooses not to carry it) and other valuables in the safe. For more information, go to https://www.lockerdown.com/.

Any other great ideas on securing your valuables?  Other than your trusty Glock or baseball bat?

F301

F931

Mike

Attachments

Images (2)
  • F301
  • F931
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yeah, I had my rear door window broken a couple of weeks ago.  The stole my small backpack with hiking gear, my TPMS monitor and dash cam.  They left the GPS because they were too stupid to figure out how to unplug it, they also left all the power cords.  The stuff was mostly old and not worth much but getting the window replaced was a pain.  On the Ram trucks they have in floor storage boxes, I already had a security lid on one of them.  

After the break in I added the center console safe and the other in floor lid.    The center console makes it easier to put away the GPS and other stuff that is used frequently.  I use the floor safes for things used less frequently as they are harder to access if you’re loaded up for a trip.  I use Tuffy Security products, similar to the Lock’er down but 1/2 the price at the expense of 16 gage steel vs. Lock’er Downs 12, but for the purpose the 16 gage seems fine.  Also the console safe uses a keyed lock instead of the combo lock.  Simple no drill installation using 4 screws and you have the option of drilling holes thru the console and floor pan to bolt it in but to prevent the “grab” part of smash and grab the bolts seem like overkill.  With a few minutes work and big enough crowbar and sludge hammer they could probably defeat the lid but the smash and grab folks aren’t looking to hang around.  Tuffy also makes a security lid for the under seat storage but that requires giving up the OEM lids that convert to a “flat floor”.  

The Ram versions of the Tuffy Security products.

https://tuffyproducts.com/products/?page=1

Last edited by Duckman
@Duckman posted:

Yeah, I had my rear door window broken a couple of weeks ago.  The stole my small backpack with hiking gear, my TPMS monitor and dash cam.  They left the GPS because they were too stupid to figure out how to unplug it, they also left all the power cords.  The stuff was mostly old and not worth much but getting the window replaced was a pain.  On the Ram trucks they have in floor storage boxes, I already had a security lid on one of them.  

After the break in I added the center console safe and the other in floor lid.    The center console makes it easier to put away the GPS and other stuff that is used frequently.  I use the floor safes for things used less frequently as they are harder to access if you’re loaded up for a trip.  I use Tuffy Security products, similar to the Lock’er down but 1/2 the price at the expense of 16 gage steel vs. Lock’er Downs 12, but for the purpose the 16 gage seems fine.  Also the console safe uses a keyed lock instead of the combo lock.  Simple no drill installation using 4 screws and you have the option of drilling holes thru the console and floor pan to bolt it in but to prevent the “grab” part of smash and grab the bolts seem like overkill.  With a few minutes work and big enough crowbar and sludge hammer they could probably defeat the lid but the smash and grab folks aren’t looking to hang around.  Tuffy also makes a security lid for the under seat storage but that requires giving up the OEM lids that convert to a “flat floor”.  

The Ram versions of the Tuffy Security products.

https://tuffyproducts.com/products/?page=1

Yep, there's probably not much difference between the Tuffy and the Lock 'er Down. As you said it's all about grabbing and not hanging around.

Mike

Here’s another option……..I installed this vault in my F450, even though it is specifically made and advertised for F150s.

EFCB4E32-CA3C-4F73-8A4E-AE290C286946

I like that it is a 12 gauge solidly made box that is bolted into the truck’s floor, and can’t be breached by breaking out the plastic sides of the center console like the Ford factory optional safe and some aftermarket console safes. It fits into the driver side half of the center console, leaving the passenger side available for other things that don’t need to be locked up, thus keeping half of the consoles original utility to easily gab things without having to unlock a lid.  It is big enough to hold everything I want locked up …….radar detector, rear camera monitor, EDGE CTS engine monitor, et.al. with room to spare.

8D3D391E-9140-4544-887F-4489A53B17C9

5FDEA69C-9682-4DF5-8C75-0BBC4E176925

Attachments

Images (3)
  • EFCB4E32-CA3C-4F73-8A4E-AE290C286946
  • 8D3D391E-9140-4544-887F-4489A53B17C9
  • 5FDEA69C-9682-4DF5-8C75-0BBC4E176925

Let’s form our own flash mob!

This just in……. Large group of seniors storm local Camping World.  Reports indicate the only things taken were bottles of tank treatment and a stack of road atlases.  The perpetrators were apparently unable to resist stopping next door for breakfast at The Cracker Barrel and were quickly apprehended.  Film at 11.

@DMc posted:

Let’s form our own flash mob!

This just in……. Large group of seniors storm local Camping World.  Reports indicate the only things taken were bottles of tank treatment and a stack of road atlases.  The perpetrators were apparently unable to resist stopping next door for breakfast at The Cracker Barrel and were quickly apprehended.  Film at 11.

Mike

Add Reply

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024
Link copied to your clipboard.