Skip to main content

Have resisted buying a portable propane fire bowl.  While making several campground reservations for a Spring trip to Grand Teton and Yellowstone NPs, Idaho and Oregon, 75% of the campgrounds indicate no wood fires.  And while on a recent 12-day September trip only one campground allowed wood fires.

Two weeks ago I went ahead and purchased the Outland Firebowl (Premium with auto-ignition).  It's a great addition to the home courtyard.  Want a very last minute fire to sit around, it's good to go in one minute.  Even the DW likes it, and she was the skeptic!

Still have the Solostove Bonfire when we want that courtyard wood fire.

The propane firebowl is going to fit in well as more and more campgrounds restrict wood fires.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I too resisted for a long time, now I rarely burn wood anymore.

Just so dang easy! Puts out good heat (especially after the rocks have heated up for awhile) way cheaper than buying a bunch of wood, and conveniently located right on my patio.

Want a fire for 20 minutes with your coffee in the morning? No problem.

20190330_19424820190329_193346

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 20190330_194248
  • 20190329_193346
Last edited by Bruce R.
@Mtn Mike posted:

Do these run off the propane quick connect on the side of the trailer or do they need higher flow than the house system provides? I see they're rated at 59000 BTU which is close to my Camp Chef, but I don't see a specification for the pressure they require.

They can run off the quick connect but only if you remove the regulator. I swapped out the hose and regulator on mine with an 18’ hose from Amazon...

-TC

@Pwillia1 posted:

Are Lava rocks different than what comes with the fire bowl?  And it sounds like they work better at reducing burnt propane fumes?

They are lava rocks that come with the Outland, but I think they're towards the "Pummice" end of the lava scale, given the relatively light weight.

Once the fire and rocks are good and hot, I don't notice any smell.

I much prefer the propane fire bowls. 1.  By the time summer rolls around almost every campground, National Forest or the BLM bans fires.  2. So many campground sites are so close together that one person’s beautiful fire is another person’s trailer full of campfire smoke.

I like a campfire but I limit them to when it’s allowed of course and when I have a large campsite away from others.

@Pwillia1 posted:

Are Lava rocks different than what comes with the fire bowl?  And it sounds like they work better at reducing burnt propane fumes?

I got the Real lava rocks(heavy) and piled them higher and wider. To me they hold in the heat and burn off the smell better. I start the bowl on high then turn it to low after the rocks get hot. Just my observation. There is nothing like a real aromatic flaming wood fire, although no matter where I sit the smoke comes my way

Jim,

A pound of liquid propane contains 91,500 btu. And 5hus a full 5 pound tank could contain 5x 91,500 =457,500 btu's. AThus, for example if your Firebowl consumed 18,000 btu per hour a 5 pound tank could theoretically run it almost 25 hours. In reality you probably never have a completely full propane tank.

This info also handy for knowing how long your heater could run, if you know it's btuh rating.

There you go

@Muleskinner posted:

Jim,

A pound of liquid propane contains 91,500 btu. And 5hus a full 5 pound tank could contain 5x 91,500 =457,500 btu's. AThus, for example if your Firebowl consumed 18,000 btu per hour a 5 pound tank could theoretically run it almost 25 hours. In reality you probably never have a completely full propane tank.

This info also handy for knowing how long your heater could run, if you know it's btuh rating.

There you go

What is "5hus?"

Add Reply

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024
Link copied to your clipboard.