Skip to main content

Disclosure: I have no connection with the company referenced below other than being fascinated by what they do.

I no longer am much impressed with politicians, sports stars, CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, etc.  My heroes are people who can actually do stuff - make things or repair things. Earlier today I got to meet the owner/operator and see some of the work at Big Boys Fiberglass Repair, Camdenton, Mo.  There are likely others in the business just as good, but to say I was impressed is a large understatement.  Given the Azdel material used on our trailers/tcs, it is good to know there is someone like that  here in Flyover Country.  Most of their work is with boats (Lake Ozark Missouri is just a few miles from their shop and apparently people run into stuff quite often), but they have done plenty of work on trailers like ours as well.

I personally am keeping their information just in case.

https://www.bigboysfiberglass.com

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Some thoughts for a would be DIY home fiberglass worker.

For years I have done small fiberglass repairs on things like motorcycle fairing, our boat, and even building a MH skylight with it.  It is easy, inexpensive, and for the most part, forgiving to work with.

Then we got a MH that had a fiberglass roof with a several surface cracks that didn't leak, but according to the fiberglass expert I had look at it, compromised the integrity of the roof.  It was a much larger fiberglass project than I had ever undertaken, and after buying some material I started into the project at home.  We live in rural community, but the houses are fairly close together and we have a cat, neither of which I had thought much about before starting.  After laying a considerable amount of glass I needed to do some sanding which spread fiberglass dust all over the ground and even some into the neighbors yard.  I was protected, but this stuff is hazardous to breathe, ingest, or even have on your skin. After noticing what was happening, I removed as much of the dust as I could from areas the cat would walk in, and from the neighbors yard.  Then I took the MH to a fiberglass shop where the dust wouldn't be a problem and had them finish what I had started.

I hope this may someday help someone to avoid the mistake I made by not thinking the whole thing through.

Steve

Last edited by Thomas (Steve) Dixon

Add Reply

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024
Link copied to your clipboard.