Skip to main content

We did get our Clam shelter screen tent for Christmas.  We have only set it up twice, but with skeeter and fly season upon us, I'm sure we will find plenty of opportunities to use it.  It really is quick and easy.  We also got a 3 pack of wind screens. The downside is that it is bulky and heavy.  (6'6" and 34#, I think) folded up and in the bag.

Agree it is heavier and bulkier than others, but won't trade it for any of them. It takes no time to set up as long as you get the first move Our first time was close to divorce and a neighbor offered t o help then retreated to safety. Once we watched the video it took less than2 min, now I make sure to check out the you-tube if we haven't used it in a while . Add a couple of panels and you have shade, warmth or privacy. Would purchase again in a heart beat.

I agree.  When we had kids at home (back in the dark ages) we had a couple of cheaper screen tents.  What a joke!  Neither of them lasted very long, and they were difficult to assemble, use, and disassemble.  I am sure there are other good products out there now, but I love how well the Clam is engineered and manufactured.

Last edited by Dale L.

We just retired our Clam after about 3 years of use. Out of the 3 years it's probably been set up over half that time. We've used it at home, camping and gate guarding in South Texas. Understand the Texas sun is brutal as are summer storms. Overall this is a good product, easy, as said by others, to setup, good in higher winds if staked well. Downsides are the material has suffered badly in the sun, does and has always leaked at the roof seams ( not bad, but enough to be annoying), and Velcro for the panels wears out quickly.  Also in higher winds the pop out sides tend to pop in, so best to keep things away from the sides.

I'd recommend going to the model with the sewn in exterior panels and getting some extra tent poles to put out the panels for better sun shading. Not being overly critical, just being honest. Ours seen heavier duty than most would get. All said I would buy another if our usage was cut back.

We have been hauling our new Clam throughout the PNW. Set it up once at the SCIO rally just to check it out and reaffirm I could pop it up in less than 5 minutes. LOL 

This screen room is a great mosquito repellent. They seem to see it laying on the table and fly away. Since purchasing this Clam, mosquitos have been pretty much non existent. 

When we were at Fort Stevens SP, someone had a very similar structure that came from Cabelas. Same pop out panels and roof but it also had window flaps built onto the room. According to the owner, it weighs quite a bit more than the clam.

diamonds posted:

This has been one of our favorite 'add ons'/expenses!  We opted for the pavilion with wind panels and have loved it.  Thanks to Jeff and others for paving the way.  Here is a newer video.  Great for bug free/shaded space; dining and can be used for sleeping for 'company'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...hXIa9cppw&sns=em

Will the Pavillion store in the forward locker or is it to long? (Our 1575 will not have the "coffin".)

I love the clam, but had a problem while camped out at Curt Gowdy State Park in WY. 
very strong winds and the Velcro came unattached and wore a hole in the screen in three places. I was able to get screen material but in order to have it repaired I would have to completely remove it from the frame. 
Never happen. Has anyone made screen repairs and if so how did you do it??? New ones are costing $280 plus. 

Add Reply

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024
Link copied to your clipboard.