Skip to main content

I installed insect screens on the outside appliance inlet/outlets.  This include the Refrigerator covers (top/bottom), furnace exhaust, and water heater exhaust.  They are Camco brand (links to Amazon for reference):

RefrigeratorCamco 42139 RS620 Flying Insect Screen for Dometic RV Refrigerator Vents  (Required 2 packages, one top and one bottom cover)

Furnace/Water HeaterCamco 42150 Flying Insect Screen - WH 200,4.5" X 4.5" X 1.3"  (Required 2 packages, 1 for each exhaust)

Refrigerator:  The install was pretty simple and easy.  The refrigerator screens didn't include enough nylon ties to tightly attach the screens (in my opinion).  It included 6, but I used probably 2 to 3 times that to make sure it fit tightly all around without gaps.  In my case these were a perfect fit, so no trimming was required, like some have said they needed to do.  Just need to be careful not to install upside down, which leaves gaps where there shouldn't be.  The ones I got are a perfect fit, and are reinforced at the right places to not leave any gaps.  No mud daubers are getting in.

Furnace/Water Heater: These come with springs and a tool to push through the screen and stretch and engage the spring onto the furnace exhaust.  I did the same for the water heater exhaust initially, but then realized that if I wanted to open the water heater door, I would need to take off the screen every time.  So I got a small drill bit and drilled a hole on opposite (diagonal) corners of the door opening to stretch the spring into place, and attached the screen to the door.  I used a dab of black Testers enamel paint to seal up the bare metal where I drilled.  Now I can open the door to drain the tank, etc while leaving the screen on.  I didn't do this with the furnace, because it's not a door, and I don't expect to be opening it often.  I made sure to stretch the springs to keep enough tension to hold them pretty firmly in place.  Both fit perfectly.

I understand that some are wary of putting these on, thinking these will restrict air-flow, but I don't think this is of much concern.  Where I am, mud daubers are more of a concern, and they're not getting in here.

Total cost was about $65, not including the additional nylon ties and the Testers enamel paint I had already.

Attachments

Images (6)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1
  • mceclip2
  • mceclip3
  • mceclip4
  • mceclip5
Last edited by kingement
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I also installed these items and for the same reasons. They were among the first additions once the trailer was home, along with the vent covers. Great product. The dealer had a "day of purchase" discount on everything in their store. (I used more zip ties than supplied with the fridge screens as well, little ones from Home Depot).

Last edited by Rich and Nancy

Good work!  Insect screens were my first mod.  I have had insects ruin appliances in a past camper, and now I know.  We have a lot of paper wasps and mud daubers in our neighborhood, and I have to deal with nests all summer long. But, now, not in my camper appliances.

Dont forget the roof vent on the fridge if you have a roof vent and dont forget the open air propane cabinet.  Wasps will get in there too and make filling propane bottles an adventure.

@kingement -Nice looking install on the fridge vent screens. Depending on where/how you camp the fridge might struggle cooling in hot conditions. My PDI tech warned me about adding screens to the top and bottom fridge vents because they interfere with natural draft of the heating element. There are fan kits you can add to enhance the draft and therefor cooling. With your 2 SOK batteries and all that solar - nice setup👍 -  a kit or 2 won't put a dent in your amperage well.

Up to 2021 the refer vents were on the roof which was ideal for air flow yet some Lances, 2017 came with a fan but not all. Mine doesn't have a fan, @BobnRobin 2375 has it.
On the 2022 all vents are now on the side which has caused air flow problems so don't know if a fan is being used now. My cousins 5er, 2008, with side vents had issues when new until the dealer installed a fan.
Another thing to ask about the 2022...

I installed some screen wire under my propane tanks because, a pesky Wren kept building a nest in there. 

I put screen wire inside the frig vents, but because of cooling issues, I removed it. 

Don't have one on the heater vent, but this post reminded me, I should. 

Thanks for the post.

@pau hana posted:

Up to 2021 the refer vents were on the roof which was ideal for air flow yet some Lances, 2017 came with a fan but not all. Mine doesn't have a fan, @BobnRobin 2375 has it.
On the 2022 all vents are now on the side which has caused air flow problems so don't know if a fan is being used now. My cousins 5er, 2008, with side vents had issues when new until the dealer installed a fan.
Another thing to ask about the 2022...

I read a thread about the onboard fridge fan and didn't know if ours had one. Everyone said you'll hear it if you have one and I finally did hear it running on a very hot day. The fan is mid fridge and I remember seeing pictures of it beneath the heat exchanger. I looked down from the top rear wall vent and couldn't see it. A top mounted set would be more efficient at inducing draft and moving more air.

I have to have screens on every opening that wasps can invade.  Those buggers are bad around my home.

My fridge has a fan, but I dont like the noise it makes.  So, I added a thermostat controlled pair of 10" computer fans to the top vent panel.  The fridge fan is still hooked up, but I have the control set such that it never runs.  Much better.  Photos in my mods topic.

https://community.lanceowners....0#563135519131089540

Last edited by TJeeper

Add Reply

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024
Link copied to your clipboard.