Skip to main content

Great Plains Gathering 5 - Casual Get-Together

Although I am posting this announcement, it is not notice I am in charge of the GPG5 as host.  This year, I only can help out from time to time as the case may be.  So, for now, the meet-up is planned and we hope to SEE YOU THERE.

This year's get-together will be very casual and laid back, at least from my point of view. I am booking the pavilion and the calendar time so that we can have a good time camping at a nice park and visit with friends.

We will be at Melvern Outlet COE park as it has been for the past 2 years.  We are booking sites in Loop B as it keeps us close together and the pavilion is right there.

I have started a discussion page for this gathering.

Who Is Attending

Add Comment

Comments (19)

Newest · Oldest · Popular
@Ragbag posted:

i want to let you know that Barb and Bob will not be able to attend the Great Plains Gathering.

I (Bob) made a mistake and I messed up the Truck and Camper (accident).

No body got hurt, that is all that really matters, just my pride.

See you all in the future..

Glad no one was hurt.  Trucks and campers can be repaired. Hope to see you next time.

@Ragbag posted:

i want to let you know that Barb and Bob will not be able to attend the Great Plains Gathering.

Well that's a bummer...but stuff happens!  Glad all are Ok.

Well poop! We have to cancel. I thought Sherry and I would be there for sure.
I have a follow up on oral surgery (tooth extraction due to root canal going bad) on the 21st and with the urologist on the 27th (not related to the 🦷 ).
Roadie and I just bought a 2018 1062 a couple of weeks ago and wanted to pick everyone’s brain,,, in person!

Y'all have fun. Maybe next time.

Dave

The cost will be a donation, typically the ask if $5 per camping unit.  This covers the cost of renting the pavilion ($80 total there) and anything else that we do as a group. We have not decided if there will be a potluck supper this year or not.  I want to wait to see what the states are saying around that time frame.  One suggestion has been a "Bring Your Own Supper" and join us in the pavilion to eat. That way no one has to worry about multiple people handling the same serving spoons, etc. Just fill your plate from your kitchen and carry it over.

As to "what to do", I don't have any organized activities planned, but typically you can find someone who wants to play pickleball or some other game. There is at least 1 hiking trail just off the CG, plenty of walking areas, fishing, bike riding, room to fly a kite, horseshoes, sitting in the shade with a cool beverage (adult or otherwise) and chatting about any topics you want to talk about.  I have been involved in chats about quilting, cooking, camping, sightseeing, traveling with pets, the choices are endless.  Melvern is only about 40 miles from Topeka if you want to go there and see the KS capitol, the Evil Knievel museum is there, among other points of interest. I have not explored the area around the CG because I spend too much time chatting with the LOA group, but you don't have to stick around all day, totally up to you.

We are pretty laid back and easygoing.  At least, that is the goal.

I like the "...bring your own supper*..." idea, but IMHO, I would think it would be Ok if folks wanted to  bring something to share - like cookies, bars...etc.  Hard to say what changes "they" might recommend between now and then.  Outdoor events haven't been hampered much to date.

"Easygoing...", I agree, folks should feel comfortable to just enjoy the weekend surrounded by fellow Lancers - whether that means gathering close with others, or connecting from a bit further away...either is fine.  I'm excited that this is coming together - regardless of the existence or absence of a plan.

*Based on the Supper/Dinner map - the Melvern Lake area appears to align more with the Dinner term.  ...such rebels.

@White Horse posted:

This is pretty close to me. What is there to do there and what is the cost?

Regards,

WH

The cost will be a donation, typically the ask if $5 per camping unit.  This covers the cost of renting the pavilion ($80 total there) and anything else that we do as a group. We have not decided if there will be a potluck supper this year or not.  I want to wait to see what the states are saying around that time frame.  One suggestion has been a "Bring Your Own Supper" and join us in the pavilion to eat. That way no one has to worry about multiple people handling the same serving spoons, etc. Just fill your plate from your kitchen and carry it over.

As to "what to do", I don't have any organized activities planned, but typically you can find someone who wants to play pickleball or some other game. There is at least 1 hiking trail just off the CG, plenty of walking areas, fishing, bike riding, room to fly a kite, horseshoes, sitting in the shade with a cool beverage (adult or otherwise) and chatting about any topics you want to talk about.  I have been involved in chats about quilting, cooking, camping, sightseeing, traveling with pets, the choices are endless.  Melvern is only about 40 miles from Topeka if you want to go there and see the KS capitol, the Evil Knievel museum is there, among other points of interest. I have not explored the area around the CG because I spend too much time chatting with the LOA group, but you don't have to stick around all day, totally up to you.

We are pretty laid back and easygoing.  At least, that is the goal.

Last edited by KS Farm Girl
@MFREE posted:

Soooo, is Texas considered part of the Great Plains?  I'm we have plains and they are great...  Asking for a friend.

Of course, Texas is part of the Great Plains!  Tell your "friend" to make a reservation and join us for a relaxing get-together.  More info on the Discussion Page.

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024
Link copied to your clipboard.