Skip to main content

I don't sell these, and Honda is not paying me for this (although they should!).

The venerable Honda Eu2000 is no more, replaced by the new EU2200i and EU2200i Companion.

The Companion model is more expensive, but it is the version you want for an RV.  It has two outputs, one a standard household receptacle, the other is a 30 amp outlet.  This is important as the standard household receptacle is limited to 15 amps.  For high amperage draws - like startup on an A/C unit, you can get something like 18 amps through the 30 amp connector.  This may well be the difference between the unit starting or not - particularly if there is any other electrical draw at the time.

More than that, if you are running high amperage currents through the 15 amp circuit for an extended time it will often overheat and shut down, even though you have not exceeded the rating.  Our shore power plug and the 30 amp outlet receptacle is not going to overheat at any output the stand alone generator is capable of producing.

They are noticeably quieter than the older 2000 as well.  Not dramatically so, but noticeably.

Last edited by Eric Dye
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Allendale posted:

I don't sell these, and Honda is not paying me for this (although they should!).

The venerable Honda Eu2000 is no more, replaced by the new EU2200i and EU2200i Companion.

The Companion model is more expensive, but it is the version you want for an RV.  It has two outputs, one a standard household receptacle, the other is a 30 amp outlet.  This is important as the standard household receptacle is limited to 15 amps.  For high amperage draws - like startup on an A/C unit, you can get something like 18 amps through the 30 amp connector.  This may well be the difference between the unit starting or not - particularly if there is any other electrical draw at the time.

More than that, if you are running high amperage currents through the 15 amp circuit for an extended time it will often overheat and shut down, even though you have not exceeded the rating.  Our shore power plug and the 30 amp outlet receptacle is not going to overheat at any output the stand alone generator is capable of producing.

They are noticeably quieter than the older 2000 as well.  Not dramatically so, but noticeably.

Got my eu2200i w/Bluetooth companion on Wednesday. Have not had the inaugural start yet but on the list of activities tomorrow!

@Allendale posted:

Respectfully, you're telling people they need to spend an extra $100 or more based on incorrect information.

Based on everything I've seen and read, you don't get any more power out of a single companion unit than you do out of a single standard eu2200i.

Also, I've run the heck out of my AC for some pretty extended periods of time, and it has never overheated, shut down, or failed to start my AC.

Both good units and people should do their research and buy whichever one they want, I personally saw no reason to spend an extra hundred bucks on a companion unit unless I'd be pairing them.

It's pretty clear @Allendale is describing a 30 amp 'rated' receptacle, that to be rated as such, has more brass on the contact surfaces.  Thus, a higher rated connection is less likely to generate heat than a 15 amp receptacle when transmitting nearly or sometimes more than the 15 amps our camper's air conditioners are asking of the generator.  As I read it, there's no claim of the generator alone producing 30 amps of output.

Unfortunately, the camper's 30 amp 120vac power cord plug won't fit into the Honda's 30 amp twist-lock receptacle.   

We are still slave to acquiring an adapter to mate the 30 amp twist-lock to the 30 amp RV cord's plug.  The Companion's approach just has more brass between the its receptacle and the adapter.

Twist LockTwist Lock 2

Then again, there are home made adapters utilizing a duplex receptacle that accomplish pretty much the same thing as the companion's advantage.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Twist Lock 2
  • Twist Lock
Last edited by Doug, aka Atchafalaya Man

I am justifiably corrected for not being careful enough with my words.  It is certainly true that many people can use the 2200i, or even the older 2000i with no problems.  I hasten to add here that I did not intend to suggest that everyone using these other versions are doing so dangerously.  I probably DID convey that very message, however, but I did not intend to.

The important point is that the Companion offers a 30 amp outlet to mate to the 30 amp shore power plug on most, if not all Lance products.  Those plugs and outlet are capable of delivering the full 15 amp output (over 18 surge amps) without overheating and oxidizing the connecting plug.  If your sustained loads are 12 amps or less there will be no advantage to using the Companion version.

For myself, I have seen too many 15 amp plugs in high current draw applications that oxidized over time, began to draw heavier and heavier amperage, and in some cases melt down.  The ability to have a plug that will accept the full generator output when necessary without any strain is a very big thing for me.

I agree with many points on the above.  It can only run 30 amp with two genny's hooked together but I purchased the Companion 2200i because of the heavier plug for 30 amp.  Yes, I did add an adapter to connect the TT 30 amp cord and also purchased a longer adapter to make it easier to connect when the genny is in the genny box.  I do have the Micro Air on my 15k AC that works perfectly.   This seems to be a perfect set up for our HOT Florida summers.

@Allendale posted:

The receptacles are 20 amp. Page 12 of the manual.(or look at the plug-NEMA 20 amp ) No need for the companion unless you are paralleling  2 generators or like the twistlok  30 amp plug.

Attachments

2200W at 120V is a little over 18.3A – so, yes, the EU2200i is not going to deliver upwards of 30A without help. Nor is it going to push more amperage than is being drawn, so if you are sure you're never going to draw more than 15amps, you probably don't need the companion version. But if you continuously go above 15amps (A/C, Induction Plates, Microwaves, etc) -- you will want to be sure your system is capable of handling over 15amps so you don't run into corrosion and fire hazards because you're over drawing on the electrical lines. To me, saving $100-200 hundred dollars in 30A vs 15A wires and receptacles would be a pretty depressing explanation for having part of your RV go up in flames. Most people aren't splitting the difference with 15A vs 20A lines and receptacles...so I would always air on the safe side and just go 30A if possible...and leave that safety head-room. Plus, as someone previously stated, the receptacles are more compatible between the 30A Companion EU2200i and the Lance 30A shore receptacles. It seems like a win-win with only about $110 difference.

But then again, my EU2200i isn't even outputting 2200W because I have the LP conversion which comes out to closer to 1800W. So who knows...but I always like having plenty of headroom where possible.

My last thought is with regard to 30A service at RV sites with full-hookups. If you plan on hitting these, you're going to want those 30A cables for 30A shore power anyway, so why not make sure they are compatible between your Lance, the generator, and the shore power. If you're going 15A-20A from your Honda, you'll be disappointed with your 15A service from shore power when 30A is available.

-S

Howdy,

Just purchased a 2200 Companion, after already buying a 2200.  I tried using the 13.5 A/C with a Soft Start at 5600 feet elev. (plus I camp a lot at 7500 + feet elevetaion) and it tried hard but would not run.  I will soon try the Companion and the 2200 in parallel, using a 30 A adapter plug into the Honda's 30 A receptacle,,, as soon as the parts arrive.                                              My Companion arrived with two circuit protections, one labeled 20A and one labeled 30 A which surprised me.  Has anyone seen this on their Companion unit?  Or is this something new that Honda is doing?                                                                             

I ended up paying the big $$$, however, I should be good to go with my Trailer's generator needs when I need more than solar,,, plus have some good back up generators for my home.

New Mexico Mike

2017.5     1685

2015  Nissan Titan

Two Renogy 100W panels

Renogy Voyager Controller

Two 105 Ah Lithium Ion Phosphate Batteries, Lion Energy

Howdy,

Just purchased a 2200 Companion, after already buying a 2200.  I tried using the 13.5 A/C with a Soft Start at 5600 feet elev. (plus I camp a lot at 7500 + feet elevetaion) and it tried hard but would not run.  I will soon try the Companion and the 2200 in parallel, using a 30 A adapter plug into the Honda's 30 A receptacle,,, as soon as the parts arrive.                                              My Companion arrived with two circuit protections, one labeled 20A and one labeled 30 A which surprised me.  Has anyone seen this on their Companion unit?  Or is this something new that Honda is doing?                                                                             

I ended up paying the big $$$, however, I should be good to go with my Trailer's generator needs when I need more than solar,,, plus have some good back up generators for my home.

New Mexico Mike

2017.5     1685

2015  Nissan Titan

Two Renogy 100W panels

Renogy Voyager Controller

Two 105 Ah Lithium Ion Phosphate Batteries, Lion Energy

Mike,

Which soft starter do you have?  You should be able to run it on Just a single 2200 with a soft starter. even at 5600 feet. 

Hey everyone

15 amp plug 30 amp plug it really is not an issue use what ever you have because doesn’t matter if it is a Honda generator or a Yamaha generator, Ohms law clearly states watts divided by voltage give you amperage. 2200 watts divided by 120 volts equals 18.333 amps.  That is the best you can get with a 2200 watt generator. If you’re going to run a single device through one 15 amp plug I would advise against it but if you are plugging in Two appliances which combined equal less than 2200 watts and they are plugged into two 15 amp plugs you are golden.  Heck you can run your AC with that little Honda eu2200i so long as you wire a soft start in your AC unit because it will use between 13 to 15 amps once the fans and compressor get up to speed

opps sorry so long winded

@EdandCindy posted:

Hey everyone

15 amp plug 30 amp plug it really is not an issue use what ever you have because doesn’t matter if it is a Honda generator or a Yamaha generator, Ohms law clearly states watts divided by voltage give you amperage. 2200 watts divided by 120 volts equals 18.333 amps.  That is the best you can get with a 2200 watt generator. If you’re going to run a single device through one 15 amp plug I would advise against it but if you are plugging in Two appliances which combined equal less than 2200 watts and they are plugged into two 15 amp plugs you are golden.  Heck you can run your AC with that little Honda eu2200i so long as you wire a soft start in your AC unit because it will use between 13 to 15 amps once the fans and compressor get up to speed

opps sorry so long winded

Keep in mind that 2200 watts is peak rated power. The 2200i runs at 1800 watts continuous. 1800 watts = 15 amps.

Last edited by R&V Spiker

Ed and Cindy

Yep, 15-18 amps once the A/C is up and running But about 2.5 times that to get it there.

Soft start will help reduce that significantly But one 2200 will not run a lot of A/C units when at higher altitudes and at higher temps

New Mexico Mike

2017.5   1685

2015 Nissan Titan

two Honda 2200s    Soft Start

two Renogy 100 watt panels    Renogy Voyager

two Lion Energy 1300 batts

Ed and Cindy

Yep, 15-18 amps once the A/C is up and running But about 2.5 times that to get it there.

Soft start will help reduce that significantly But one 2200 will not run a lot of A/C units when at higher altitudes and at higher temps

New Mexico Mike

2017.5   1685

2015 Nissan Titan

two Honda 2200s    Soft Start

two Renogy 100 watt panels    Renogy Voyager

two Lion Energy 1300 batts

I have run my 15k Coleman with Easy Start at 7000 feet on my Honda 2200. I didn't need to run it, I just wanted to see if it would run it. The saving grace with altitude is that it gets cooler the higher you go. I can't recall ever wanting the run my AC above 7000 feet.

@trishnpups posted:

Hi have the 2200 companion and the 2000 model that I can connect together (the 2000 has the correct serial numbers to make this work). Will I still get 30amps when connecting? I saw above that I would with two 2200's but unsure about a 2200 and 2000. thanks

I have the same setup; a Honda 2200 and a 2000 in the serial number that will pair.

For the first 30 minutes the 2000 is rated at 16.66 amps and the 2200 at 18.3 amps - for a total of 34.96 amps.

For continuous running the 2000 is rated at 13.33 amps and the 2200 at 15.0 amps - for a total of 28.33. That is close enough for any uses I have had. Though I toy with the idea of getting another 2200 every once in a while and selling the 2000.

Now I use the Honda's for uses other than powering the trailer and I have the distinct impression that they will often exceed their specs; especially the 2200 with it larger motor (it went from 100 cc in the 2000 to 121cc in the 2200, but only claimed an additional 200 watts output.).

I have never carried both generators and in fact rarely carry one. If I need more AC amperage than the Honda can provide my Magnum Hybrid inverter will make up the difference as would a Victron inverter with Power Share. In fact I've wondered how it would work with a Hybrid/PowerShare inverter and good solar paired with a 1000 watt generator - for the ultimate in using as little fuel as possible.

It can run one.  IF it is a small A/C , not at high elevation or super high temps.  The larger, the A/C, the higher the temps and the higher the elevation,,,, the less likely that a 2200 will be able to run the A/C.  Even with a Soft Start.

I have texted with a Soft Start tech who said I was right on the “cusp” of being able to run my 13.5 A:C with one Honda 2200.  5600’ elevation

-one 2200 will start  my A/C then it shuts down in a few mins

-two 2200s run 🏃‍♂️ the A/C easy

-my neighbors Honda 3000 runs it fine

The tech said the Honda hi altitude jets may help

I like to camp at 7500 elevation and higher so I have two Honda 2200s.  Because that is what I need to run my 13.5 A/C

New Mexico Mike

Hi All,

I have some Easy Starts in stock.  We have Bluetooth and regular models.  This is leftover stock from the group-buy we just did at the beginning of the month.  If you missed that sale, here is your chance to get one at the same discount.  We are only offering this deal to the readers of this thread.  Use coupon code  LOA for 25 bucks off and a free installation kit.  Don't add the install kit to the cart, we will automatically include it.  Just add the Easy Start that you want.

Click here to buy

https://lanceowners.org/produc...ctrical/electronics/

Bluetooth364_1024x1024@2x

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Bluetooth364_1024x1024@2x
Last edited by Eric Dye

One important topic I haven't seen specifically mentioned (other than the 30A adaptor) in this informative thread is the gauge and length of the wire in the extension cord and the quality of the plugs. For the single 2k or 2.2k generator the shortest 12 AWG extension cord should be used. If one is running a longer 16 or 14 AWG cord than necessary there will be some loss of current on high demand periods. That loss generates heat and drops the voltage along the line and risks damage to the connections.

Personally I carry a 7' and 25' 12AWG cord. I never have needed a longer cord however if I did I would use the OE Lance 10AWG 30 amp cord to cut the loss. These tidbits of facts should help one decide which EU2200i model is best suited. Personally I carry the Companion with its heavier plug options.

@Chuck3006 posted:

I have the same setup; a Honda 2200 and a 2000 in the serial number that will pair.

For the first 30 minutes the 2000 is rated at 16.66 amps and the 2200 at 18.3 amps - for a total of 34.96 amps.

For continuous running the 2000 is rated at 13.33 amps and the 2200 at 15.0 amps - for a total of 28.33. That is close enough for any uses I have had. Though I toy with the idea of getting another 2200 every once in a while and selling the 2000.

Now I use the Honda's for uses other than powering the trailer and I have the distinct impression that they will often exceed their specs; especially the 2200 with it larger motor (it went from 100 cc in the 2000 to 121cc in the 2200, but only claimed an additional 200 watts output.).

I have never carried both generators and in fact rarely carry one. If I need more AC amperage than the Honda can provide my Magnum Hybrid inverter will make up the difference as would a Victron inverter with Power Share. In fact I've wondered how it would work with a Hybrid/PowerShare inverter and good solar paired with a 1000 watt generator - for the ultimate in using as little fuel as possible.

That is exactly how I've used my single Honda EU 2200i Companion. It works seamlessly. The generator usually sits in the truck bed. Over the past ~2 years I've needed to use it twice only to charge my Li battery bank. I'm sure the hybrid function design will work well with a 1,000W generator, the drawback being it would take twice as long to recharge the bank.

Returning to this thread and seeing the thread title, I want a 2200i companion. My local Honda shop has them on B/O and I've put my name on the list so once they unload the ship where they are currently sitting, I will get one.

This is not for the trailer but rather for the house. We already have the EU2200i and want the companion to be able to run more stuff simultaneously if and when the power goes out. We fortunately have not experienced the now "normal" power outages our California neighbors to the west seem to encounter every year but who knows what manufactured crisis will rear it's ugly head in the future with the way things have been going lately.

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to share my experience. After buying my lance 2185, I bought the Honda 2200i and the 2200i companion generators so I could run the A/C. Then I decided I didn’t want to haul two generators, so I installed the Easy-Start, which works well with one Honda.  Then I decided to install the Multiplus 3000W inverter with 2 x 170 AH renogy lithium batteries along with 640 W of solar. I’d of saved my self a lot of time and money if I’d just gone direct to multiplus plus lithium batteries and just bought the eu2200i without companion. The multiplus can run the AC without  the EasyStart, alone, and indefinitely with only one eu2200i. Last, the multiplus 3kVA has a 120 A charger so I can minimize charging time when needed. I only wish my batteries could accommodate that rate. The newer renogy 200 AH lithiums can charge at a much higher rate. My recommendation is to go straight to Multiplus and lithium batteries with only one Honda eu2200i, not the companion or easy start.

@Allendale posted:

There are better options that save weight, gas, and unnecessary redundancy than getting the companion.  The Honda EU2200i is enough with a Micro-Air Easy Start, extended-run fuel tank, and good A/C power manangement (this presumes that you have sufficient solar for all your other needs and you dedicate the EU 2200i for airconditioning).  While this setup easily powers my 15k BTU Coleman, I have even learned to run it on Eco-boost, which is even quiter, after the intial start on normal, but it requires that keep it on Cool Lo continuos--not Auto (so it's not turning off and on), and I don't forget to disconnect all the other A/C loads, no matter how small.

@Bruce R. posted:

Respectfully, you're telling people they need to spend an extra $100 or more based on incorrect information.

Based on everything I've seen and read, you don't get any more power out of a single companion unit than you do out of a single standard eu2200i.

Also, I've run the heck out of my AC for some pretty extended periods of time, and it has never overheated, shut down, or failed to start my AC.

Both good units and people should do their research and buy whichever one they want, I personally saw no reason to spend an extra hundred bucks on a companion unit unless I'd be pairing them.

I wanted to expressly second your commnets.  I have had no issues with my Airconditioner or EU2200i.

@Djf64078 posted:

Good info - if planning on running a inverter generator may want to pickup a ground neutral bonding plug.  If using two EU2200i’s running in parallel you only need one, installed on the companion

1069C6C0-0D6F-415C-A0BF-27F22D057ADF

While you could easily build one, I found one for $9 on Amazon (Leviton 5256-VY 15 Amp, 125 Volt, Industrial Grade, Plug, Straight Blade, Grounding, Python, Yellow).  It's $4 cheaper, smaller, and I keep it plugged into my inverter.  The yellow is a reminder it's there.

Grounding Plug

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Grounding Plug
Last edited by Peaceful Hikes NJ

For those without a 30 amp receptacle built into your generator, there's an 'adapter' that doubles the contact surfaces of the duplex outlet (if you build your own redneck special).

And, for you flamers, it's not a death-cord if you have more brains than a sweet-pea when using it.  Flame away, but its better than anything you can buy, short of a Companion or other generator that comes with a proper receptacle for your trailer's power cord.  IMG_0659IMG_0661

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_0659
  • IMG_0661

Add Reply

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024
Link copied to your clipboard.