Skip to main content

I purchased the Swagman RV Ladder Bike Rack on Amazon for about $60.  Not having the option of mounting a bumper bike rack and not wanting to add to the tounge wieght with a front end mount, I figured this was the best option for me and my 2017 Lance 2185.  It holds two bikes up to 35 lbs each.  I have used on about 6 trips now with no issues even with our heavy beach cruisers.  I did add some padded tape to prevent the metal support arm from scratching my Ladder.  If your in the market for a bike rack the Swagman RV Ladde Bike Rack is a great option.IMG_2132IMG_2136IMG_1941

Attachments

Images (3)
  • IMG_2132
  • IMG_2136
  • IMG_1941
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Shouldn't. 200 lb plus folks are climbing those ladders all the time. 60 lbs of well-secured bike shouldn't effect anything--warranty or otherwise. By the way a number of us have that same Swagman. When loaded, It does slightly effect your tongue weight. And, depending on where you go, the bikes can get dirty riding back there. I'd like to find some kind of cover for the bikes that will keep them dry in the rain, and won't damage the paint as it flaps in the wind. 

gscott posted:

Shouldn't. 200 lb plus folks are climbing those ladders all the time. 60 lbs of well-secured bike shouldn't effect anything--warranty or otherwise. By the way a number of us have that same Swagman. When loaded, It does slightly effect your tongue weight. And, depending on where you go, the bikes can get dirty riding back there. I'd like to find some kind of cover for the bikes that will keep them dry in the rain, and won't damage the paint as it flaps in the wind. 

We have Swagmanrv Horizontal Bike Bag https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017...AS?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf and it works well.. 

Joe 

gscott posted:

Giles, you probably have seen this but in case not..... I was at Camping World yesterday and saw a large display for this RV Deluxe Bike Cover.  After seeing your post yesterday, I immediately thought you might be interested.

Been using this same rack for 3 years on our 2285.  No issues.  Do add a strap around the bikes and the upper ladder rung for extra support.  Also did do two mods to make it more secure.  One, a plywood face plate that slides onto the step behind the rack and provides a large contact area for the two foam bumpers instead of the bumpers 74706A59-4439-4250-A49B-E412A903FDA29438D3FF-4C2C-4FD7-A485-6D4903129E87sitting on the knife edge of the step.  Two, straps that hold the rack tight to the ladder.  Nylon webbings and two buckles from Home Depot.  

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 74706A59-4439-4250-A49B-E412A903FDA2
  • 9438D3FF-4C2C-4FD7-A485-6D4903129E87

I'm attempting (again) to add a couple of photos...

Note that there is another mounting hole on the rack that pushes the rack out about 2 more inches compared to these photos. (Gives a couple more inches of clearance between inside bike and ladder.)

I was able to mount inside bike by standing it up on back wheel, inserting back wheel into holder and rotating bike horizontal around vertical part of rack. Not really as awkward as it sounds...

Note that access to the ladder is restricted by the bike(s).

tomk

2021-05-11 14.42.542021-05-11 14.40.28

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 2021-05-11 14.42.54
  • 2021-05-11 14.40.28

Add Reply

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024
Link copied to your clipboard.