Skip to main content

I installed "Pedal Commander" on the F250, which is an electronic gizmo that alters the throttle response on (relatively modern) engines with electric throttle control. Practically everything up to ten years old.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._asin_title_o01_s00?

I have to say I'm impressed, it really does what it says it does. You can calibrate the throttle to be very slow in Eco mode (really sluggish, but it's Eco!) or very, very peppy in Sport. It seems like you have notably more power, even though that's not the case. It's unbelievable how much of a difference a simple change like this can make...

Further positive is that it takes maybe 15 minutes to "install", and most importantly is does not influence the warranty on the truck, there's no variation in compression or anything else so nothing gets logged in the system and nobody can see that it has been used. If necessary it can be detached in few minutes.

Pretty happy...

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Very interesting. One thing I have noticed with the new 7.3 is the sluggish feel when operating with a light foot which is how I drive most of the time. To combat this I simply depress the pedal a bit more if I need a more responsive feel. It sounds like this device makes it so one can adjust the pedal response to accommodate their favored driving technique.

One of the bullet points in that Amazon add stated;

• GAS SAVINGS: The Pedal Commander’s significantly slow response can increase your Ford truck MPG and save you up to 20% in fuel economy.

This is how I normally drive and is likely the reason I got 18.3 mpg on my run from Carson to Fallon a few days ago.

2021-02-25 12.49.38

After I have logged a few more miles, I may give this device some consideration. I do on occasion like a "peppy feel" when I push the pedal.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 2021-02-25 12.49.38

I noticed that it does depend on how hard you push on the accelerator as the truck can feel a little slow off the dime with a light foot.  Recently I was merging on a freeway in traffic and pushed on the accelerator more than I usually do - the truck sure felt a lot peppier, I was surprised.

With that type of response, I wonder if you really need something like this with the 7.3L engine - if you want to save gas just feather the accelerator.

I use the Ampd throttle booster by Superchips. It's very similar to the Pedal Commander, but fit my needs and desires a bit better.  I also use the Superchips F1 tuner to program my truck between towing, performance, or economy modes.  Between the tuner and the throttle booster there is a MAJOR difference from stock settings.  I can't imagine driving the truck without either one anymore.  The electronic throttle in these new vehicles can really make the pedal feel sluggish.

Here's a link to an example of what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B...PMRHMDJJ3V9ZN8D6MX50

I have the woo woo pedal monster. A chip is included for keeping info of performance only and you make all adjustments on the display itself. I have also had the Banks air Box installed. I'm running a RAM 3500 6.7 diesel HO, crew cab 8 ft bed SW. I went from 17 MPG highway to 19.8 MPG. No trailer attached. Ran From K of P to Ft Myers 1200-mile trip. Running speed was between 75 to 80 with active cruise set most of the way. I can say I increase almost 3 MPG because of these two factors, may have had a wicked trail wind. Will see on the way home. Be going up hill I keep you posted on drops or increase. All mods are legal. I have friends that deleted, but I choose to go legal.

I have a size 12 pedal stomper, it runs on potato chips.  It gets better mileage than the cruise control, cruise on my Ram doesn’t know when to temporarily back off a mph or two to run in a higher gear and doesn’t know when to gently increase the throttle as the next hill approaches😁

I just ordered the Banks PedalMonster because of this thread. Should have it installed in the next week or two.

After some online searching, I preferred their design and safety features, plus their brand is more reputable. There were quite a few stories of Pedal Commanders failing and needing to be disconnected to get the throttle to work again.

If you fill your Banks online cart but walk away from your order, you'll get an email with a 10% discount, so it also ends up cheaper than the Pedal Commander.

Last edited by MrFancypants

I just ordered the Banks PedalMonster because of this thread. Should have it installed in the next week or two.

After some online searching, I preferred their design and safety features, plus their brand is more reputable. There were quite a few stories of Pedal Commanders failing and needing to be disconnected to get the throttle to work again.

If you fill your Banks online cart but walk away from your order, you'll get an email with a 10% discount, so it also ends up cheaper than the Pedal Commander.

This is precisely why I went the the pedal Commander.  A larger company for things like this is bound to have some more issues since it is far more popular.  But from what I have experienced the PC people have been EXTREMELY responsive to me and any issue I have had, which wasn't much. 

So, more reputable?  Nope.  I don't see that at all.

Add Reply

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024
Link copied to your clipboard.