Skip to main content

Reply to "Why you want the Honda EU2200i Companion"

One important topic I haven't seen specifically mentioned (other than the 30A adaptor) in this informative thread is the gauge and length of the wire in the extension cord and the quality of the plugs. For the single 2k or 2.2k generator the shortest 12 AWG extension cord should be used. If one is running a longer 16 or 14 AWG cord than necessary there will be some loss of current on high demand periods. That loss generates heat and drops the voltage along the line and risks damage to the connections.

Personally I carry a 7' and 25' 12AWG cord. I never have needed a longer cord however if I did I would use the OE Lance 10AWG 30 amp cord to cut the loss. These tidbits of facts should help one decide which EU2200i model is best suited. Personally I carry the Companion with its heavier plug options.

@Chuck3006 posted:

I have the same setup; a Honda 2200 and a 2000 in the serial number that will pair.

For the first 30 minutes the 2000 is rated at 16.66 amps and the 2200 at 18.3 amps - for a total of 34.96 amps.

For continuous running the 2000 is rated at 13.33 amps and the 2200 at 15.0 amps - for a total of 28.33. That is close enough for any uses I have had. Though I toy with the idea of getting another 2200 every once in a while and selling the 2000.

Now I use the Honda's for uses other than powering the trailer and I have the distinct impression that they will often exceed their specs; especially the 2200 with it larger motor (it went from 100 cc in the 2000 to 121cc in the 2200, but only claimed an additional 200 watts output.).

I have never carried both generators and in fact rarely carry one. If I need more AC amperage than the Honda can provide my Magnum Hybrid inverter will make up the difference as would a Victron inverter with Power Share. In fact I've wondered how it would work with a Hybrid/PowerShare inverter and good solar paired with a 1000 watt generator - for the ultimate in using as little fuel as possible.

That is exactly how I've used my single Honda EU 2200i Companion. It works seamlessly. The generator usually sits in the truck bed. Over the past ~2 years I've needed to use it twice only to charge my Li battery bank. I'm sure the hybrid function design will work well with a 1,000W generator, the drawback being it would take twice as long to recharge the bank.

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024