Skip to main content

Reply to "Why you want the Honda EU2200i Companion"

2200W at 120V is a little over 18.3A – so, yes, the EU2200i is not going to deliver upwards of 30A without help. Nor is it going to push more amperage than is being drawn, so if you are sure you're never going to draw more than 15amps, you probably don't need the companion version. But if you continuously go above 15amps (A/C, Induction Plates, Microwaves, etc) -- you will want to be sure your system is capable of handling over 15amps so you don't run into corrosion and fire hazards because you're over drawing on the electrical lines. To me, saving $100-200 hundred dollars in 30A vs 15A wires and receptacles would be a pretty depressing explanation for having part of your RV go up in flames. Most people aren't splitting the difference with 15A vs 20A lines and receptacles...so I would always air on the safe side and just go 30A if possible...and leave that safety head-room. Plus, as someone previously stated, the receptacles are more compatible between the 30A Companion EU2200i and the Lance 30A shore receptacles. It seems like a win-win with only about $110 difference.

But then again, my EU2200i isn't even outputting 2200W because I have the LP conversion which comes out to closer to 1800W. So who knows...but I always like having plenty of headroom where possible.

My last thought is with regard to 30A service at RV sites with full-hookups. If you plan on hitting these, you're going to want those 30A cables for 30A shore power anyway, so why not make sure they are compatible between your Lance, the generator, and the shore power. If you're going 15A-20A from your Honda, you'll be disappointed with your 15A service from shore power when 30A is available.

-S

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024