Skip to main content

VIAIR 400P Automatic Function Portable Compressor

After experiencing my first tire blow out which caused $4500 in damage to my truck, I was in a fairly emotional state and willing to spend some money.  During the process of changing to my under inflated spare, I discovered my current tire inflator was inadequate.  I went shopping for a better one and decided on the VIAIR 400P Automatic.  Automatic meaning it has a pressure switch and shuts itself off after the air hose is pressurized.

The unit comes with a coiled air hose, a nice tire inflator with gauge and a good quality storage bag. The storage bag has separate compartments for the compressor and air hose and holds everything nicely. It also has ample room if you wanted to put a tire plug kit or such in there. The unit is equipped with standard quick connect air fittings.  This would make using different accessories/hoses quite easy.

IMG_1687IMG_1688IMG_1689IMG_1694IMG_1695

Unfortunately in my case I wasn't able to use the supplied storage bag.  It's kind of big and I want to keep the unit in my truck even when not hauling the camper.  I found that it fits nicely under the back seat storage cubby....

IMG_1685IMG_1686

The only assembly required is to attach the supplied air filter.  The filter has 2 elements inside and even comes with extra elements if they should become too dirty....

IMG_1690IMG_1691

Now, onto a performance test.  The unit hooks directly to the vehicle battery with good quality clamps.  The instructions say to have the engine running during use, which  I did.  I deflated one of my truck tires to 0 psi and re inflated it to 75 psi.  The valve stem was pretty close to my wheel cover but I still had no trouble attaching the supplied inflator/air chuck.  I also carry a 4" valve extender just in case.  It was not needed for this test.....

IMG_1697IMG_1698IMG_1696IMG_1700

When I turned the unit on it took 6 1/2 seconds to "charge the hose" before turning off.  I then attached the air chuck to the valve stem and began inflating.  I stopped in 1 minute increments to record the current pressure....

1 minute,  19 psi
2 minute,  31 psi
3 minute,  42 psi
4 minute,  53 psi
5 minute,  63 psi
6 minute,  72 psi
6 minutes and 15 seconds to 75 psi...

IMG_1699

This unit doesn't have a 100% duty cycle so stopping every couple of minutes is probably a good idea.  I did notice that the supplied inflator gauge is about 2 psi off from my usual gauge.  Took about another 30 seconds to reattach and correct to proper pressure.

Overall this compressor has a solid well built feel to it.  It is a bit on the large side compared to some others.  The only negative I found was the supplied coiled air hose.  It reached the rear tires on my truck just fine but I think if I had tried to stretch it to trailer tires it would have been, well, a stretch.  It feels tight when you try to stretch it and I'm afraid if I would have pulled it much further than I did it would have kinked.  If you find this hose to be a bit short you could add a 2nd hose or switch to a different hose such as a 50' non coiled hose.  

All things considered I am very happy with this compressor.  There are less expensive options available in the VIAIR product line and others.  This one was a bit on the pricey side but I feel it is worth every penny.  Hope somebody finds this useful.....

Erick

Attachments

Images (14)
  • IMG_1687
  • IMG_1688
  • IMG_1689
  • IMG_1694
  • IMG_1695
  • IMG_1685
  • IMG_1686
  • IMG_1690
  • IMG_1691