Skip to main content

Reply to "Trojan 30XHS 12-volt group 30 deep-cycle battery (130 AH)"

Curahee posted:

Curious, how do you all get a high enough equalize charge (the 30XHS requires 16.2V for EQ)? 

I would love to go with 2 of those if they fit or 2 T105's but the Lance PD-4500 won't provide the proper EQ charge...

Cris and Krista, the question about equalozing is a good one.  I am not an expert, but I do think Imhave a good answer.

Of course, the Lance supplied charge controller does not provide an equalizing charge comparible with this Trajan battery.  And batteries are all,different in terms or bulk, float and equalize charge requirements.  So no matter what battery you have, it most likely is not truly compatible with the charge controller.

The equalize charge is a special case on 12 flooded cell and agm batteries because is is so high.  Lance connects the charge conroller to the battery and all the traoler 12 volt systems.  We dont want the correct battery equalize charge applied by the charge controller, because, using this example, 16.2 volts is likely to damage some 12 volt loads, maybe the fridge, etc.

In my case, my plan is to use a programmable solar controller in conjunction with a 100 watt portable solar panel to both charge and equalize, equalizing only when disconnected from the domestic (trailer) system.   In fact, when plugged into 120vac, I possibly will always keep the battery disconnected, so, the battery only sees the correct bulk,float, and charge parameters.

I am waiting for my trailer delivery, so this is my plan...

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024