Skip to main content

Reply to "Smarter Tools 2000iQ Generator"

The problem with using ethanol enriched fuel in small engines is the fuel does not cycle through like it does in a motor vehicle. That fuel can sit in any small engine for months, and some are designed with alcohol proof hoses and tubing and some are not. The biggest problem with the ethanol enriched fuel is phase separation, where the alcohol breaks down and attracts water vapor and moisture, and you end up with a slug of water on the bottom of the tank, carburetor, fuel lines, etc., and pure gas sitting on top of that. On any small engine you're better off using non-ethanol fuel at 87 octane -- or -- using an enzyme-type fuel conditioner that prevents the phase separation. The non-ethanol fuel costs more, but by the time you add the enzyme you're at about the same cost. There are a lot of fuel stabilizers on the market, and most do not prevent phase separation. The two most popular that do are Stabil Marine Formula (blue/green color, not the red), or Starbrite. You can find them at Walmart, most every marine or boating store, and a lot of the auto parts stores. Other than these two you need to read the label carefully to verify that it does stabilize and prevent separation. I use both of these treatments in every small gas engine around the house--lawn mowers, snow blowers, weed trimmers, my Gator UTV, small Smart Tools generator, my big Generac house generator, chainsaw, Mercury and Yamaha outboard motor--everything other than the cars. Mid or premium grade fuel will not help, though a few distributors supply ethanol free only in 90 or 93 octane. The higher octane actually has less energy but does prevent detonation (knocking). 

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024