Skip to main content

Reply to "New Camping “Essential”: Bluetti AC180 Power Station"

Dianne and Scott,

I think your application is a great example of the practicality, versatility and cost-effectiveness of these power stations, particularly when outfitting a camper from scratch, especially here in the East where RV PV systems don’t appear to be as popular as in the West.  

You have 160 Ah of LFP batteries (12.8 V x 160 Ah = 2048 Whr.), a versatile DC charger, including MPPT; a high-power AC charger, a 2400 W true sine wave AC inverter, and a very useful range of AC, DC and USB power outlets all wrapped up in a very neat package that weighs about the same as a single 105 Ah 12 V lead acid battery (67 lbs.), and it likely cost less that the trying to assemble something similar from individual components.

It may also be handy as a backup power source at home during an electrical utility outage. It may not run as long as a generator, but it’ll be relatively quiet while running. 😎

Your power station can also be charged from a vehicle power outlet, but at 100 W, it’ll take a while. Since your TV appears to have a high output alternator (180 A? 220 A?), you could consider installing and inexpensive 12 V to 24 V boost converter to double the charge rate to ~200 W. This configuration would recharge your particular power station by ~50% or so over a six-hour drive.

The three “cigarette lighter” style power outlets in our truck are individually fused at 20 A. The DC input on our AC180 limits low-voltage current input to 8 Amps, so I could supply 24 V x 8 A (192 W) to the power station from the converter and a dedicated vehicle power outlet (13.5 V x 15.3 A x 93% efficiency) without blowing the fuse. I may look into this 🤔, as I could then fully recharge our unit while driving in under seven hours if conditions warranted.

Thanks for sharing your system description and application!

Safe travels,      
Jim / crewzer

Last edited by Crewzer
Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024