Skip to main content

Reply to "Nature's Head Composting Toilet"

@kaypee posted:

Now that I've had the unit in use for a full year perhaps I can finish my review.

The Nature's Head works by separating liquids and solids.  The liquids are very high in nitrogen.  You can pour them into any toilet.  (Or around trees.)  The solids are dried.  As they dry, the bacteria die off.  All that is left is fiber.  The solids can go into the landfill.  Mine looked so innocuous that I used them as a soil amendment for a tree I was planting.

The head is very easy to use and maintain.  Due to the way it's vented, I've never had any odor in the trailer.  It still looks great, and I find it far preferable to having an extra chore of dumping my black tank.

You do need to sit down to use the head, not a problem for me.  Though some men dislike that.

If there comes a day when I need to buy a new Lance, installation of a composting toilet such as a Nature's head will be my first mod without question.

My only ding is that the head is a bit large.  The competing air head is smaller.  I have a friend who installed an air head on his boat.  We both agree that the Nature's Head seems to be better designed.  Nature's Head has fewer moving parts to break and is generally sturdier.

As I posted elsewhere, it's April here in Alaska and I know we'll freeze up a few more times before summer.  But I'm able to camp in my winterized trailer since my toilet doesn't use water.  Since my trailer also serves as my power outage shelter; a dry toilet give far better functionality in those circumstances.

Should I ever find myself in need of a basement toilet in a conventional house, I'd opt for a Nature's Head before I installed standard toilet with an obnoxious macerating pump.

I thought I'd chime in here. DW and I have used our Nature's head for four years. It's been fantastic! I'll reiterate @kaypee's cogent comments. I couldn't possibly imagine doing a water flush toilet, loading a black tank, traveling with several hundred pounds of you know what, and then waiting in line to dump the stuff. I can do the NH maintenance when and where I want to.

This is my most recent post about the NH composting toilet.

https://community.lanceowners....a-new-twist-series-2

I said in the future I'd discuss disposal of the pee. DW obviously sits on the NH to pee. I don't. Instead, I have a couple of one-liter wide mouth plastic bottles.

Nagene HPD Wide Mouth bottle

For the guys this is far more practical and gets rid of the nonsense I've heard about guys using the NH, "Oh, you have to sit down." No you don't!

I'm sure there isn't any man around (unless he did a sex change operation) that hasn't stood and peed outdoors. You still get to stand up and pee. Just make sure that the lid is screwed down tight when it's 2:00 AM. Then, If you're boondocking, the next morning you do with that Nalgene bottle as if you were hiding behind your RV doing the same thing.

'nuff said!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Nagene HPD Wide Mouth bottle
Last edited by Lancer18
Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024