Skip to main content

Reply to "Micro-Air Easy Start--install and 2000 watt Generator"

RobertMT posted:

The price difference between 2k and 3k inverters, is quite a bit.  The price difference between inverters and hybrid, is even more.

I haven't had a converter, for last two years and don't foresee a reason to add one.  I don't have MW nor do I intend to get one.  I seldom use one at home, so see no need camping.

I'm considering MS, instead of pure, since AC can run on both.  Opinion is split, if mod will hurt AC or not.  I currently run compressor freezer or small AC on small mod inverter and charge cell off DC.  I'm not sure if pure is worth the extra cost.  I'll contact inverters plus, before I spring for pure inverter.

I guess we have different perspectives on cost. I was thinking in terms relative to the cost of the trailer and to the overall cost of the solar/lithium/inverter package.

I just looked at AM Solar and a Magnum 3000 Hybrid was 2239 and a 2000 non Hybrid was 1735, for a 504 difference. I think that difference is larger than it should be as I only paid 1700 for my 3000 Hybrid; but the AM Solar example is likely the worst case. When I bought mine I would only have saved 300.00 going 2000 watt non Hybrid. There are numerous reasons to go larger; one main one to me as that with a 1800 watt load the 2000 is close to its limit and working and with the same load the 3000 is cruising at a bit more than half its output. Much as a dimmed light lasts a lot longer than one at full output.

Plus I confess that I have an "overkill is underrated" mentality and lean towards "do it right, do it once".

But then I am the guy who put a 5 HP totally enclosed fan cooled Baldor motor an an Ingersoll Rand 80 gallon V-twin compressor that was built between 1945 and 1950 (before I was born) and that I rebuilt. The Baldor was (and still is) the high dollar option but 50 years later it is still running just fine. I am using tools (hand and power) I bought in my early 20's. One of my welders is a Lincoln I bought 45 years ago. None of the low dollar stuff from HF (compressors, welders, power tools) etc will be running in 45 years; and there won't be parts to keep them running.

Prior to retiring I did field work in the energy industry and had quite a bit of electronics to do the job. My department insisted on relatively high dollar sign wave inverters in our trucks and we had no problems and ran them for years and years. Other departments were cheaper and went with lower cost modified sine inverters because "they would work". They had more problems with power supplies on their equipment than I did and the lower quality MS inverters seemed to die more frequently. I learned to carry an extension cord to help them out. Sorry, but I wouldn not run a MS inverter if it was given to me.

I am not saying that everyone should do it my way, but it has worked for me my whole life.

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024