Skip to main content

Reply to "Micro-Air Easy Start--install and 2000 watt Generator"

VigII posted:
RobertMT posted:

I wonder, if easy start, makes using inverter and solar, more practical?

That's the main reason why I installed a MC 364 on our Coleman Mk15. I've  successfully completed the five learning starts on house current via a 15 amp circuit and a 12/3 50' extension cord. Then it got cold again and I haven't yet tried the Honda EU2200i. I hope to have my hybrid inverter tied in and the solar panels expanded out to 650 watts from the current 370 watts.

I fully expect it to work given @R&V Spiker's and @Ty J's experience with the Victron 30/3000/120 Multi I'm installing. @Chuck3006 has had good reports running his AC and more with his Magnum MagnaSine 3000A Hybrid inverter. I don't know if he's installed a MicroAir 364 on his AC.

I have installed the MicroAire on my Coleman 15k. It would not start on the Honda 2000 without it.

As to RobertMT's question I think the answer is yes. I think I've kind of looked at it from a whole system point of view as opposed to focusing on single components. If you decide where you want to end up and design a whole system that has adequate capacity you will likely be happy. 

If I made one mistake it was probably in the buying a TT with the Coleman 15k. But the local dealer had a trailer that had everything we wanted on the lot, met Richards price, so we bought it. I wish I'd investigated if there were any more efficient AC units that would do the job at a lower energy cost. Given the size of the 2285 we likely could not have gone less than 13.5 and maintained the ability to cool the trailer. 

But for now I'm happy with the system and I can easily run the AC on the inverter. I mentioned before that I ran the AC and microwave simultaneously as a system stress test. FWIW nobody seems to believe that you can run the AC on battery power until you show them.

One thing I'm l curious about going forward is how much of the load the AC will place on the battery bank will be supported by the solar. If I add one more panel it could be close to half which would extend the run time.

As an aside I really think everybody looking at an inverter should look at spending a few extra dollars to get the Hybrid function. If considering a 2000 I'd look at going with the 3000. The cost may not be much more and a with a 3000 you can do anything in the trailer that can be done with a 30 Amp shore power hookup; well other than run the AC continuously. 

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024