Skip to main content

Reply to "Lithium battery worth it?"

@Dale L. posted:

I'm probably going to going to make the switch this winter or in the spring, as our nearly 5 year old RV/Marine batteries don't hold a charge as well as they used to.

In all of the literature I have read for various batteries, it appears their BMS does protects batteries from charging or discharging when overheated, but they don't state that they protect them from charging when they are below 32F, when they apparently should not be charged.

Also, do they need ventilation to avoid overheating?  I am considering mounting a 200AH lithium battery underneath the bed of our 2285.   The compartment is fairly large, but we do store things underneath, which takes up part of the volume.  Should vents be added to the bed structure to allow heat to escape?

It depends. If you plan a battery box of expanded metal to keep stored items away, like a door screen protector, there should be plenty of air to help mitigate heating during charge cycles.

• What rate the battery (batteries?) are charged at will influence the rate that heat is generated.
  • Don't pack items right next to the batteries.
  • If later you decide to add an inverter or an inverter/charger, ventilation will be required.
Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024