Skip to main content

Reply to "Lithium battery worth it?"

@KR posted:

Regarding the original question, a qualified yes.

If a lighter, higher usable power, longer lasting and maintenance free battery is worth the price difference, then yes.

However,

Don’t forget the added cost of potentially upgrading a converter, lead-acid charger, solar charge controller and if not equipped, adding a battery monitoring system to track the AH usage and charging of the Lithium Batteries.  Unlike Lead Acid, a .1V change can represent 30% of battery depletion.

Also, don’t overlook security, now you have a lot more money in a tongue mount box or, as I found out, an easily defeated Lance locking trailer battery compartment.

A quick estimate for a simple upgrade not only included the cost of the Batteries but an additional $300+ in related upgrades.

We do dry camp and the benifits of weight, maintenance freedom and longevity are worth the investment.

Very true, Lithium batteries are still in the early adopter stage.  However, newer campers may have some of the right stuff installed.  Most solar controllers newer than 2018 will have a lithium setting.  If not, the setting for AGM will pretty much do the job.

The converter (120v -> battery) charger may have a lithium setting, but if not, the charger will charge a lithium up to 90%.  And, lithium batteries tolerate partial recharge without impact to battery longevity.

A battery monitor is not a must, but it sure is good to have.  I use a Victron battery monitor that displays on my phone to track the Amp-hours out at night, and back in during the daytime.  I watch the Amp-Hours, rather than voltage.

Victron makes a great battery monitor called a Smart Shunt, which costs $130.  It is simple to install, provided you don't mind using your smart phone to check on your batteries.

I figure I have bought the last batteries I will ever need.  Lithiums are good for 3000+ nights of camping.  And, I dropped 100 pounds from my camper removing the lead acid boat anchors.

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024