Skip to main content

Reply to "Inexpensive Front Receiver"

I think I would be more cautious with a 1/2 ton pickup since the frames are considerably lighter.  For those of us with the HD chassis I really don't worry about it as there is nt dynamic load of being on the highway and the pull rating on the front hitch rating  is significantly higher usually at 9,000 pounds (in the case of my Dodge)  Now with my front bumper I no longer have an actual hitch separate its part of the bumper I regularly move my 6000 pound pontoon boat around with it on the front and have seen no signs of stress or damage.  The front springs however are certainly showing the extra weight over time but that was expected when I have the equivalent of an Grand Cherokee on my front two tires...

Originally Posted by LJV51:

Some of thoses front hitches are only rated for 500 pounds of tongue weight.  Looking around the forum I see most tongue weights are over the 500 pound mark.  Do you think moving around your trailer with the front hitch rated for 500 pounds cause any problems if the weight was 600 Plus pounds?

Lynn

WP_20140520_001

Attachments

Images (1)
  • WP_20140520_001
Last edited by IssaquahWA1979
Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024