Skip to main content

Garmin 1095 RV GPS

I recently purchased a Garmin 1095 GPS unit primarily because I had a hard time seeing my GPS Google Maps on my radio screen. The 1095 has a 10" screen! I was worried that it might be too large and block the window too much. I purchased the Garmin extra large sandbag pillow to hold it as well. I was afraid that if the GPS was window mounted it might fall off and that I would have to "reach" too far to input commands. The pillow works great. Very adjustable. I set it low so the bottom edge rests on the dashboard. It's very stable and I can reach it well this way. What I really like is that I can see it VERY WELL even if the sun is glaring on it directly.
Does it block my front window? Yes, a little bit but not bad.
I also find that I like to create my route using my RV Life Trip Wizard then sending it to the Garmin GPS. This way I can look very closely at the map to ensure I agree with the chosen route that I will be driving. The first route I created using the Garmin GPS route planner it ran me straight through downtown Tallahassee Florida to include a major round-a-bought. When I transfer the RV Life route to the GPS, each day is broken into a separate individual routes on the GPS and will be numbered with a name.
You can also use voice commands with the GPS similar to Google and Alexa. The speaker in the GPS is adequate. Text messages from your cell phone will appear on the screen for a few seconds.
So far the only thing I don't like is that I thought it could interface with my current wireless camera on the trailer. Not so. It will interface with a backup camera but it has to be a Garmin backup camera! And their cameras are limited and very much just like a car license plate camera. And they are expensive to boot! If anyone knows how to make them operate with 3rd party cameras Please let me know.
BTW, when I purchased this from Amazon Garmin was offering $100 off.

Last edited by Eric Dye
Original Post
Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024