Skip to main content

Reply to "Folding Bikes"

sorry to chime in late; but here's my 2 cents: i think the camping world folders would be fine for cruising the campground. i have a dahon vigor P9; it's expensive at $800, but rides great. the 20" wheels take a bout 1 minute to get used to, then they're really fun to ride. the small wheels feels squirrely at first, but once you're used to it, squirrely turns into agile! i love riding mine now. i'm flying up to seattle with it in 2 weeks to ride it around the san jaun islands for a few days. i'll report back with my feelings about the bike when i get back if anyone is interested.

if you're fairly mechanical, i'd go with hand brakes and an external derailleur (for shifting), as they are fairly easy to adjust. these type of components are lighter weight and less expensive than an internal hub shifting and coaster (foot) brakes. however, if you want less maintenance, internal hub shifting (3, 7, 8, 9+ gears) and a coaster brake may be better. just remember, if something does go wrong with those type of components, they are more difficult to work on yourself.

if i were getting a "campground cruiser", i'd still buy something name-brand (ie: dahon) with name-brand components (ie: shimano). but i'm pretty anal about my stuff. however, from what i've seen here, most LOAers are are pretty picky about their stuff too and would be frustrated by a cheap bike.

NYCewheels and youtube have some great reviews and videos for folding bikes,

john

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024