Skip to main content

Reply to "Airlift 1000 HD Install and Review"

Great writeup.  I didn't know that Rams have rear coils.  I think the major issue with that design is there is no overload leaf so heavy payloads would be really problematic.  Airbags are the perfect solution.

I have the Airlift RideControl setup on my Titan.  It's a little more involved since the bags have to be mounted between the frame and the leaf springs, but same principle.  The coil setup makes it so much easier because the coil acts as the mount!  

The most challenging part of my installation was aligning the airbag mounting points.  It's a bit confusing because you want to mount them based on a loaded rather than unloaded condition, and that's a bit hard to do while the truck is in the air for installation.  Long story short, I had to redrill one side to get the loaded angles right.  I guess I should have read the instructions better (I know, character flaw).

I had a problem with a slow leak in one airbag, which led to it getting pinched and tearing.  Again you don't have to deal with that because the airbag is fully inside the coil so it is kept straight at all times.  The good news is Airlift has a great warranty and will send out a brand new set of airbags no-questions-asked.

I'm not sure what you use for an inflator but I have been really happy with my Dewalt 20V cordless inflator.  It is very powerful and takes just a few seconds to hook up and dial in the airbags to the exact pressure you want.

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024