Skip to main content

Reply to "Absolutely most handy tool in my tool box"

Red Barchetta posted:

Question - If the jerrycan is sitting on the ground is this siphon strong enough to transfer the water uphill into the trailer/camper?

I currently have (15 years now) and use a drill-powered fresh water transfer pump.  It transfers 6.5 gallons in seconds.

It will not siphon uphill.  Like any siphon, it needs to be lower than liquid being siphoned.   I used it with a 7 gal water container shown here  when my back went out and I could not lift it.   I use it all the time to empty a 55 gal drum of water into my cabin cistern in about 10 minutes. when I draw water out of the stream, I find a place that is at least level with the water and have no problems pulling it.   I have also used it to siphon gasoline from my truck to a container for my lawn mower.  

How it works is simply a marble crimped into the copper tubing that you when you move down it lets water in and blocks water escaping when you pull it up.    In my 7 gal it takes about 8 to 10 of these up/down movements to pump enough into the hose to get the siphon started.

Lance Owners of America - All Rights Reserved 2000 - 2024